Job Title: Communication Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
StrongMinds treats depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited. To date, StrongMinds has treated more than 70,000 women with depression in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years. Since our founding in 2013, we have restored mental health to more than 170,000 women and adolescents in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a proven, cost-effective solution to the depression epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will serve as a key contributor to the StrongMinds Uganda and StrongMinds Global communications and marketing initiative. This position will serve as a key communications liaison between the Uganda and US offices, providing content (stories, images, video, etc.) for donor-facing publications and for social media. The ideal person is a creative, a quick thinker, has a knack for detail and a penchant for excellence, is great with people, a consummate networker, and an amazing writer (therefore is an avid reader and likes researching).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Global comms team on international social media strategy and provide regular content, following a social media calendar,
- Travel to communities and collect stories, quotes, and photographs from StrongMinds beneficiaries, volunteers, and partners,
- Produce regular stories, quotes, content for StrongMinds’ recurring publications, such as Partner briefs, monthly newsletters, social media, and quarterly reports,
- Coordinate and collect feedback from Uganda office on global publications,
- Supervise consulting photographers, videographers and writers on field visits,
- Ensure that informed consent is obtained from all interview and photo subjects,
- Work with the Manager Brand, Content and Creative ensuring that all publications and merchandise adhere to StrongMinds brand and messaging guidelines,
- Proactively work with colleagues to identify upcoming storytelling needs and arrange for content to be sourced, written, and edited ahead of deadlines.
- Ensure that publications produced by the global communications office are culturally and contextually relevant to Ugandan audiences, guide writing team on necessary changes as needed,
- Assist with uploading and tagging of digital assets to online database, as needed
- Provide general support to communications department, including formatting of reports, coordinating metrics, scheduling meetings, sourcing merchandise, and other duties as needed.
- Any other duties as assigned to help advance the StrongMinds communications strategy and organizational priorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree
- At least three to five years of professional experience, particularly in roles that require a variety of writing styles and/or a variety of audiences.
- Strong written communication skills, the ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals and reports.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A clear understanding of StrongMinds’ mission and ability to convey strategy.
- Strong research skills – ability to synthesize research, interviews, and data to craft compelling narratives.
- Ability to handle competing priorities and meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proactive approach to identifying opportunities for improvement and removing barriers/problem solving to deliver results.
- Video editing and photography skills, a plus.
- Self-starter, who can set and adhere to deadlines.
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member
- Self-motivated with excellent leadership skills
- Ability to work with diverse cultures
- Ability to work under pressure
- Self-driven, hardworking, results oriented, eager to learn
- Team player
- We are people focused.
- Our clients are the top priority, and we ensure they receive the best possible care and support. Our
- employees matter and we enable our team to thrive. We respect all our stakeholders and treat them as equals.
How to Apply:
If you think that you are the right person for this position and can rise to the challenge, please send your curriculum vitae, writing sample and an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Communications Officer” in the subject line. In your expression of interest, please include why you believe you are the best fit, three key deliverables you will provide within the first 90 days, and how you will go about achieving these results.
Deadline: 15th November 2022