Job Title: Data Architect
Organisation: DFCU Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Lead Systems Architect
DFCU Bank is a fast growing commercial bank offering a variety of innovative products and services. DFCU Limited was started by the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) of the United Kingdom and the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) under the name of Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. Later restructuring brought in DEG (of Germany) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) as equal partners with CDC and UDC, each having a 25% stake in the company. Its objective was to support long-term development projects whose financing needs and risk did not appeal to the then existing financial commercial lending institutions.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Lead Systems Architect, the role holder will be responsible for designing, building, optimizing, and maintaining conceptual and logical database models and ensure company information is stored effectively and securely in the available databases, data lakes/data warehouses.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement effective database solutions and models to store, process, utilize and retrieve company data.
- Examine and identify database structural necessities by evaluating Bank operations, applications, projects, and programming.
- Assess database implementation procedures to ensure they comply with internal and external regulations.
- Coordinate with the different stakeholders to define data needs and continually update the data lake/data warehouse to derive insights required.
- Prepare accurate database design and architecture reports to various stakeholders for data security, system optimization and data accuracy.
- Set up structures to migrate data from existing or new systems to the data lake/data warehouse to ensure data security, consistency, and accuracy.
- Monitor the system performance by performing regular tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new features to confirm accurate extraction of reports for analysis.
- Accountable for the data lake/data warehouse to ensure that there are no unintended modifications/ changes.
- Ensure that customizations, developments & change requests are implemented within the approved Budget (CapEx & OpEx).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Technology, Information Systems Engineering, Mathematics or another related field.
- A Master’s degree in Data Science, computer science, software engineering or Information technology will be an added advantage.
- Administrative and/or database design experience with Oracle & MS SQL is required, however PostgreSQL or MySQL is desirable. Certifications in either of the former two database technologies will be an added advantage.
- Advanced experience developing data-driven applications utilizing database engines (both relational and non-relational) as part of the overall application architecture.
- Knowledge & experience in administering databases on both Windows and Unix-based operating systems.
- At least four years of experience as a software developer, data architect, data scientist or engineer.
- Adept at financial technology & innovation and strong understanding of banking operations and financial services product development trends. Experience with digital financial services will be a strong advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to link and apply complex database technologies to business strategies.
- Strong skills in business process analysis and redesign and the the ability to solve complex business problems.
- Open and collaborative style; must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Energy and enthusiasm; must find the work “fun” and enjoy being accountable and willing to hold others accountable.
- Excellent communications and engagement skills.
- Strong attention to detail and personal effectiveness.
- High-level of integrity and strong entrepreneurial skills.
- Self-drive and initiative.
- Flexible working hours.
How to Apply:
If you believe you meet the requirements as noted above, please forward your application with a detailed CV including present position and copies of relevant professional/academic certificates (University Transcript, O & A level), to the email address indicated below;
Deadline: 15th March 2023