Project Overview and Role:
NU-TEC MD is a seven year DFID funded programme that aims to increase the incomes and climate resilience of poor men and women in northern Uganda by stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected agricultural markets and improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. The programme is scheduled to run until March 2022.
Purpose of Position
The Deputy Team Leader supports the Team Leader in the overall management of the programme with specific focus on:
* Technical Delivery of Programme
* Management of Senior Technical Staff
* Knowledge Management and Monitoring and Results Management (MRM)
The Deputy Team Leader is a senior representative of the company and, as such, ensures that risks are minimised, company policies, processes and procedures are adhered to, and that the project is compliant with client policies, rules and regulations.
The role ensures that project objectives, outcomes and deliverables are met and that financial, operational and reporting requirements of the client are adhered to.
The Deputy Team Leader also supports the Team Leader as requested in liaising with the client and representing the company with other donors, partners and stakeholders
Specifically, the Deputy Team Leader undertakes the following responsibilities:
Technical Delivery of Programme:
* Overall responsibility for the technical delivery of the programme and technical content of reports and programme deliverables. Ensure timely delivery of quality services and contractual commitments. Monitor progress in delivering outputs, use of results, results and impact.
* Work with the Team Leader to maintain effective management and coordination with DFID Uganda, including through the provision of regular technical updates as requested.
* Contribute to and provide quality assurance to key technical deliverables.
* Actively participate on the Senior Management Team to review strategic direction and to plan and to take key decisions.
* Provide technical guidance and input to NU-TEC MD’s annual workplan.
* Conceptualize activities, identify appropriate technical interventions, and develop scopes of work designed to carry out the technical mission of the project, as necessary and requested.
* Provide support to the MRM team which develops, analyses, and reports on data collected, when requested.
* Participate in and present at technical meetings and conferences on behalf of the project and DFID, if requested.
Management of Senior Technical Staff
* Guide, nurture and manage members of the technical and MRM teams, supporting them in delivery of their workplan deliverables. Coach and offer feedback and advice, and technical input as and when required.
* Recruit, hire, and manage national staff and consultants as needed to carry out activities.
* Mentor relevant project staff in the crafting and implementation of project activities to support strong
* M4P approaches to achieve programme results.
* Provide strategic and technical guidance to the project management and implementation teams, particularly the Senior Market Manager and the Market Managers, to interface with the private sector to shape business deals and engagements and support strategic decisions about which markets and which actors to engage with.
Knowledge Management / Monitoring & Results Management (MRM):
* Overall responsibility for providing oversight of in-country MRM Activities are completed according to contract and client requests and agreed milestones.
* Assumes overall responsibility for the effective implementation of work plans and ensures delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant;
* Monitors implementation progress; maintains up to date logs of issues and risks; works to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate;
* Ensures the project provides and demonstrates good value for money;
* Ensures In-Country Program Communication Plans are developed and implemented to the satisfaction of client
* As requested by the Team Leader, provide technical guidance, oversight and quality assurance for project activities, outputs and deliverables.
The role will report directly to the Team Leader.
The role carries a high degree of autonomy with appropriate consultation.
The role is required to:
* Manage, analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager.
* Oversee the effective management of all direct reports.
* Ensure compliance with the company’s published policies on delegation of expenditure and signing authorities.
* Ensure that all approval levels within the project are adhered to with the understanding that the client contract and SOP take precedence over any other direction in this job description. Order of precedence being as follows: Client Contract, SOP for the project and then Job Description.
* The post is domiciled in Gulu however the Deputy Team Leader will be required to make frequent travels within Uganda.
* Relevant masters’ degree in business, agriculture, economics or related field, or commensurate experience
* Significant experience in private sector agriculture/agribusiness development, with demonstrated experience in market development/making markets work for the poor (M4P).
* Demonstrable experience in a mid- or senior management position in large donor funded international development projects, preferably DFID, in client facing roles with budget responsibility.
* Experience working in post-conflict or fragile states.
* Experience of working in Uganda and/or Ugandan language skills an advantage.
* Strong financial acumen and the ability to develop interpret and analyze budgets and financial reports.
* Familiarity with results chains, intervention guides and other M4P tools.
* Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organizations/institutions.
* Excellent English language communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines.