Family of Student who Died in Pancake-Eating Contest Sues University Over Negligence

Sacred Heart University students participated in a candlelight vigil in memory of student Caitlin Nelson on April 2, 2017.
Sacred Heart University students participated in a candlelight vigil in memory of student Caitlin Nelson on April 2, 2017. PHOTO: SEAN KASCHAK/SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY/ASSOCIATED PRESS

The family of the Sacred Heart University student who died after chocking on a pancake has sued the campus.

Catilin Nelson, a 20 year old of of Clark, N.J died on March 30, 2018, three days after being chocked by a pancake during a charity pancake contest at the Connecticut university.

According to the emergency team, mounds of pancake was stuffed in her mouth and airway.

The eating contest had been organised by Ms. Nelson’s sorority  during the school’s Greek Week to raise money for a children’s charity.

Rosanne Nelson, Ms Nelson’s mother  accuses the campus of negligence when it organised such an event without medical personnel.

She wants a compensation sum of $15,000 for the damages caused.

An examiner Manhattan hospital who worked on the deceased at reported that her death was a fatal accident caused by asphyxia from the obstruction of an airway by a lump of food.
Ms Nelson was a sorority girl at her college. Picture: Facebook
Catilin Nelson: COURTESY PHOTO
“These contests are significantly more dangerous than people realize,” the family’s lawyer,  Katie Mesner-Hage of Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder remarked.

Catilin Nelson was one of the two daughters of a Port Authority police officer who was killed on Sept. 11, 2001 and was just 5 years at the time.

she was studying to become a social worker.

 

Loading spinner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

+ 61 = 65

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.