Job Title: Finance & Administration Assistant
Organisation: Global Water Partnership (GWP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Finance and Administration Specialist
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a multi-stakeholder action network dedicated to working with countries towards the equitable, sustainable, and efficient management of their water resources. We comprise 3,000+ partner organisations in over 180 countries. Our network of 65+ Country Water Partnerships (CWPs) and 13 Regional Water Partnerships (RWPs) convenes, and brokers coordinated action by government and non-government actors. The network is supported by a Global Secretariat set up as an inter-governmental organization – as the Global Water Partnership Organization (GWPO) – in Stockholm, Sweden. GWP mobilises action for water security through a unique combination of social capital, shared values, credibility within the local and global water community, bottom-up orientation, and expertise. A network of networks, we work to ensure the ‘voices of water’ can influence local, national, regional, and global development priorities. We are committed to our role as a neutral convener and respected for our focus on inclusiveness and sustainability.
Job Summary: The overall responsibility of the GWPEA Finance and Administration Assistant is to support the Regional Finance Specialist in the day-to-day administration, financial accounting, cash flow forecasting, financial management, and reporting etc. on GWPEA finances. He / she will be working under the day-to-day supervision of the GWPEA Regional Finance and Administration Specialist and working regularly and collaboratively with the Host Institution Finance Department and the GWPO – Senior Financial Specialist in handling financial issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Record keeping and updates of the Financial Management System in place.
- Verify and update the accounting application/software with receipts and payments transactions.
- Assist in the maintenance and update of GWPEA financial records to facilitate review and audit of the same by the external auditors.
- Manage travel advance requests and travel expenditure accounting reports and process the clearing journals into the accounting application/software.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly expense statements for GWPEA management and ensures correct budget lines are used and expenditure is within budget.
- Ensure proper maintenance and filing of all financial records, contracts, and outputs (contract deliverables)
- Ensures effective processing of payments in a timely manner.
Financial administration and reporting- all stakeholders
- Assist in the preparation of donor accountability reports as per the financing agreements.
- Ensure adherence to GWP policies, including the GWPO Financial Guidelines, Travel Policy, and Anti-Corruption/Fraud Policy.
- Ensure adherence to NBI Procurement Rules
- Ensure proper segregation of duties and delegated authorities’ signatures are followed for all payments.
- Ensure compliance with all donor and statutory requirements.
- Work with the Host Institution to ensures compliance with country statutory and tax obligations.
- Ensure the legal and financial aspects for all contracts, MoU and agreements comply with the accounting procedures and funders’ specifications.
- Assist the Regional Finance and Administration Specialist in coordination of internal and external audit activities of GWPEA as required.
Budget tracking and administration
- Verify and confirm eligibility and budget availability for all GWPEA payments in accordance with funder specifications.
- Support the implementation of GWPEA activities according to the approved work plans and budgets.
- Vendor management and liaison
- Ensure that all payments of GWPEA clients and vendors are processed and paid in a timely manner.
Cash and cash flow management
- Update and present GWPEA budgeted expenditures and cash flow forecast monthly or as may be required.
- Verify and confirm monthly petty cash reconciliations and cash count with every subsequent replenishment.
- Ensure prudent financial management arrangements are in place with the CWPs for the transfer of funds.
- Assist in the preparation of funding requests supported by cash flow forecasts.
- Acting as an agent for all GWPEA bank accounts to ensure the timely payment of dues for all GWPEA activities and events.
- Process GWP payroll by the 20th of every month and ensuring that all staff have received their pay slips are signed individually by the end of the month.
Administrative Oversight and Support
- Provide administrative, coordination and logistical support to GWPEA meetings, and any other GWPEA activities.
- Maintain routine functioning of the GWPEA offices including the maintenance of equipment, furniture, supplies and communication (mail, phones, internet, website etc)
- Prepare minutes of the GWPEA finance and HR subcommittee of the GWPEA Regional Steering Committee
- Maintain and regularly update the GWPEA fixed assets register and commodity inventory and manage and control the GWPEA stores.
- Maintain the GWPEA documentation and archives, including minutes/documents of meetings and Conflict of interest declarations.
- Facilitate the documentation of best practices and lessons learned from the GWPEA activities and disseminate to relevant stakeholders.
- Undertake additional tasks as requested by the Regional Finance and Administration Specialist to ensure the smooth running of the GWP goals and operations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related degree in business studies from a recognized university.
- Professional qualifications from any internationally recognized accountancy bodies (e.g., CPA, ACCA, ACA, CIMA, CFPA, etc.) is a must.
- Post qualification experience of at least 4 years in accounting, administration, financial management and procurement in public private or development sector
- Specific experience working with multi donor projects in the integrated water resources management (IWRM) and climate change adaptation sector is an added advantage.
- At least three years of experience of using accounting software such as Sage Pastel Evolution, Navision, Business Intelligence accounting software.
- Demonstrated experience in standard budgeting and financial management practices.
- Experience in tracking the financial progress of projects, handling funds from multiple donors, and reporting in multiple exchange rates will be an advantage.
- Experience working with international partnership organizations spanning several countries is an added advantage.
- Experience and skills in logistical planning and management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, accounting packages, email, internet, and the workflow process
- Ability to maintain high standards of integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships; treating individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences.
- Ability to compile information, analyze data, according to protocol and prepare reports.
- Ability to maintain organized documentation and archives.
- Problem solving and analysis.
- Good numerical skills and attention to detail.
- Planning, administration, organization, and coordination skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and work in a team.
- Exemplary team player
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline and output orientated environment and to efficiently manage tough compliance requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good editing and writing skills are essential.
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified individuals are invited to submit their applications electronically to the Executive Director at: email@example.com. indicating the title of the position and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director. Your CV should clearly indicate full contacts of Three (3) referees and two (2) former employers with their full addresses and contacts (Telephone and emails) excluding the current employer. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Note: Please don’t attach scanned copies of your Academic & professional certificates and testimonials, you will be requested to submit them when you are shortlisted for Interviews.
Deadline: 5th May 2023 by 3:00pm