Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organisation: Right To Play (RTP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Right To Play (RTP) is a global organisation that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity using play. By harnessing play, one of the most powerful and fundamental forces in a child’s life, we help 2.3 million children to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases like HIV and malaria and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant reports directly to the Finance Manager. The incumbent is responsible for data entry, processing transactions in Accounts Payable, General Ledger and Accounts Receivable, reconciling Bank Accounts entries and official receipts booklet, compiling vendors’ tax files or payment and ensuring that all
transactions and supporting documents are complete and properly filed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Accounting and Reporting (85% of Time):
- Supports timely, accurate month-end closing, cash requests and cash reconciliations;
- Ensures the smooth implementation of accounting activities, including (but not limited to): timely and
- accurate bank reconciliations, invoicing, monitoring of expenditure levels against Country Office budget.
- Verifies accuracy and compliance of expenses and expense reporting;
- Provides assistance with internal or external audit requirements;
- Identifies and recommends improvements that could streamline implementation processes in the areas of accounting, finance and budgeting;
- Promotes compliance with relevant donor’s regulations and Right To Play’s policies/procedures; and other duties as assigned.
- Monitors petty cash accounts including the spot-checking of balances and payments.
- Accounts for all petty cash expenditures.
- Supervises the collection and recoverability of contractual, project partner activity advances, staff activity and travel advances and other receivables.
- Ensures that all payments are made on time.
Administration (10% of Time):
- Ensures proper travel related templates are used, travel related data are properly reviewed and analysed
- and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the Policies.
- Work with Logistics Assistant to ensure protection of the Country Office assets (inventory and fixed assets) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures by ensuring that the Fixed Assets and Inventory registers are in place, updated regularly, and reported to the FM.
- Ensures all expenses are authorized and approved in line with In Field Authorization Policy. Provides administrative support to the project team in the project location.
- Posts all financial transactions into the RTP ERP System
- Maintains control over the Country Office filing systems to ensure complete and organized accounting files, especially with regard to original procurement documents
- Other tasks as assigned (5% of Time)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related discipline
- At least three years’ experience in accounting or directly related areas
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadline
- Integrity and details focused
- Ability to multitask and work within deadlines
- Good analytical skill
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft applications, including Excel and Word
- Good skill at using financial software applications
- Skilled in maintaining documentation
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good knowledge of accounting practice, policies and procedures
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (An Asset)
- Previous work experience with an international NGO
- Knowledge of ERP Accounting System
- You are highly driven, results-oriented, collaborative and well-rounded leader with a passion for working with children and youth. You are an exceptional communicator with excellent networking skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to apply online with an updated resume and cover letter in English at the link below.
NB: While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.