Job Title: Finance Officer Projects (Fresher Jobs)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Edukans is an international NGO with headquarters in the Netherlands and country offices in Malawi, Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda. We provide marginalized children and youngsters around the world with basic education and vocational training. With over 30 years of experience, we built a solid theory of change that is guiding our work for quality education. Our mission is to create opportunities enabling children and young people to shape their futures with confidence and our vision is to pursue future proof quality education through a collective effort focusing on a safe learning environment, dedicated school management, quality trained teachers and home support by parents and community.
Skills development for enhanced employability of youth, women and girls of the refugee and host communities in northern Uganda project code named Yumbe Gamechangers focuses on transiting the youth from skills to employability in Yumbe district, in the Bidi Bidi refugee settlement. The ultimate goal of this project is to enhance the employment opportunities and livelihoods of 400 refugee and host community youth and women in Yumbe through actionable labour-market-relevant, technical and transferable life skills development, and entrepreneurship support.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer – Projects will be responsible for ensuring effective and smooth functioning of project activities as prescribed in the goals and objectives of the Yumbe Gamechangers project. The candidate is expected to exercise full compliance with Edukans programs, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as observance of the effective internal control systems. The candidate will assist both the administrative and technical components of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops project budgets in coordination with program managers for presentations
- to donors.
- Makes sure that cost recovery is guaranteed and the correct tools, data and
- forms are being used.
- Supports the cash planning process with the Finance Manager.
Financial project data and reporting
- Keeps the implementation of projects in focus and assesses the financial management reports and results.
- Shares this information with program managers and Finance Manager in time and appropriately when financial management does not go according to plan.
- Provides timely updates to management to allow for proper communication with donors.
Financial quality of partners
- Guides and advises partners in such a way that they effectively and efficiently run the project reports and meet the reporting requirements.
- Supports the Finance Manager to develop, maintain, and deliver training on compliance issues to realize sufficient compliance knowledge, has a positive attitude towards compliance and improved compliance behavior.
- Supports the organization in collecting all necessary information for audits in time.
- Prepares the audits and ensures a high quality for accountability material.
Audit related improvements
- Ensures that recommendations from in- and external audits are implemented and disseminated throughout the organization.
- Ensures that his / her own costs are being recovered,
- Adheres to the Code of Conduct and integrity policies, reports concern and follows regular integrity training, this is a medium risk position.
- Any other duties assigned by the manager.
Key Result Areas
- Meeting periodic reporting to donors and respecting deadlines
- Monitor the invoices submitted to donors both locally and internationally
- Provide financial guidance to project and Program managers and to the partners
- Compliance issues identified and responded to appropriately
- Collect and share lessons learnt to colleagues and partners
- Excellent audit reports, showing any actions/improvements have been implemented
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Accounting, (Bachelor Level or Equivalent). Professional Accounting Qualification (e.g., CPA, ACCA, CIMA) desirable but not essential
- Experience in accounting in non-government organizations
- Knowledge of project management, planning & control, administrative processes, donor requirements and relevant languages
- Behavioural values and skills: trust, accountability, problem solving, cooperation, flexibility, creativity, innovative, diplomatic, results-oriented, collaboration
- Social skills to realize a positive attitude towards compliance and improvements in compliant behaviour, and to accompany and direct partners with financial management of the organization and projects
- Writing skills to develop training material and to define unambiguous internal agreements, and to formulate opinions on the preparation of project budgets and financial reports
- Self-motivated, proactive and result driven
- Being a person with high integrity
- Ability to work independently but at the same time being a team player
- Ability to connect with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to learn quickly
How to Apply:
Applications should be in English and include the following:
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria as well as salary expectations.
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
- Please send your Cover letter, CV and copies of Academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line “Finance Officer – Projects”
We thank applicants for their interest in the position. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 8th November 2022