Vacancy title: Human Resource and Administration Manager
Type: FULL TIME
Category: Human Resources
Jobs at: African Prisons Project
Deadline of this Job: 10 March 2020
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Reports to: Country Director
The African Prisons Project (APP) is a community of people passionately committed to bringing hope and justice to men, women and children in African Prisons ensuring equitable access to justice, health and education. Our 2020 strategy focuses on developing change makers amongst prison staff and inmates who use the law to bring justice to the most vulnerable in society; and to begin assembling world-class law teachers, law makers and practitioners to aid the training and development of our people; and to plan our expansion as we look to establish ourselves as a social enterprise offering legal services in Africa and beyond. For details about APP, follow this link; https://africanprisons.org/our-work
Job Summary: The Human Resources/ Administration Manager provides general Human Resources and administration support for both the Kampala Office and all the field offices. The Human Resource/ Admin Manager is responsible for providing support in the various human resource functions, which include Talent acquisition and management, (recruitment, staffing, training and development, performance monitoring and employee counselling) .
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of APP personnel policies and ensure the implementation of these policies and SOP.
• Under the supervision of the Country Director, assist in the implementation of the APP Country Strategic Plan Objectives
• Develop a coaching and mentoring strategy for implementation in all APP field offices
• Analyse statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of personnel problems and develop recommendations for improvement of organization’s personnel policies and practices.
• Produce monthly reports for review by the supervisor, and produce annual staff turnover report for HR analysis.
• Initiate and coordinate annual job descriptions review exercise in liaison with sector heads and update the job description database
• Provide advice and assistance to supervisors when conducting staff performance evaluations
• Identify training and development opportunities
• Provide basic counselling to staff on both performance related obstacles and personal issues
• Plan and conduct new employee orientation an on boarding to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
• Ensure that performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency; Review all PME forms produced by the Human Resource department; and produce an annual Human Resources Development Plan.
• Initiate and coordinate all the recruitment requests received in line with APP policy and provide technical guidance to staff as per policy; Organize interviews and follow through on hiring procedures in line with APP policy;
• Prepare and post all job advertisements for all vacant positions in appropriate media and ensure wide and appropriate distribution to all field offices.
• Maintain and organized recruitment resource database and monthly update the recruitment status report.
• Initiate and coordinate timely contract renewals; manage staff related entry and exit documentations upon hire and at exits after end of assignments.
• Supervise the processing and management of staff health insurance scheme/ and all staff benefit.
• Promote workplace safety and conducive work environment.
• Manage administration of personnel benefits and compliance with tax laws, including employee terms & conditions of service, salaries & benefits, employment contracts, and leave records.
• Review Leave management and ensure timely processing in the leave management system.
• Manage and ensure correctness and completion of HR records and documentation including Personnel files, organization charts and databases. Ensure Audit ready records and files.
• Provide advice and assistance to staff and management on pay and benefits systems
• Notify staff and supervisor of relevant policy changes in immigration requirements/procedures.
• Supervise and oversee the entire administrative function of the Kampala office.
• Manage employee orientation process, onboarding including probation management and tracking.
• Manage administration of personnel benefits in compliance with tax laws and employee terms & conditions of service, salaries & benefits, employment contracts, and leave records.
• Review Leave management and ensure accurate and timely processing of staff annual leave.
• Manage and ensure correctness and completion of HR records and documentation including organization charts and databases as well and Personnel files,
• Manage employee orientation process, onboarding and the first 90-days including probation period tracking.
• Any other duties assigned by supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must hold a Degree or Masters in Human Resource Management, Public Administration or international Relations. Minimum of four years as a senior HR staff with a reputable organisation.
• Exceptional professionals with 4-7 years of work experience as a senior HR staff with a reputable organisation. Preferably with an international NGO.
• Strong, relevant work experience in Human Resource and Administration;
• Good presentation skills and ability to explain technical concepts in plain coherent, lay terms.
• Ability to grow others’ analytical skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks; proven self-initiative and problem solving abilities.
• Proven track record of quality performance in highly pressured environments.
• Computer skills, including Word, Excel, Power-Point, and Access.
• Proven training/capacity building skill
Job Education: Degree or Masters
Job Experience: 4-7 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Email your CV and cover letter only to email@example.com clearly indicate the position you are applying for as the subject.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.