Job Title: Information Communication and Technology (ICT) Officer
Organisation: ACORD-U (Agency for Cooperation in Research and Development – Uganda)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Operations Director
ACORD-U (Agency for Cooperation in Research and Development – Uganda) is an indigenous Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) working for social justice and development. ACORD has been working in Uganda since 1979 with operations in over 25 districts across Uganda. The ACORD-U works in conjunction with people who have been denied their basic rights, helping to better understand, to challenge, and to change the situation in which they find themselves.
Job Summary: The ICT Officer will support the entire organisation in all aspects of
others: Information, Computing, Communication and related technology. As such,
he/she will work in close collaboration with all staff particularly the communications, Administration and logistics staff.
The ICT Officer is responsible for supporting all aspects of the ICT systems and services for ACORD Uganda with special focus on the USAID OVC West Central Activity. Additionally, the role includes taking overall responsibility for ensuring the functionality, security and integrity of the Organisation’s ICT system including but not limited to; computer operations, Server operations, Networks, and other related ICT system components in accordance with the ACORD Uganda policy framework guided by the ICT and Data Protection Policy. He/she will be responsible for installing and configuring servers, networks, computer systems, diagnosing hardware and software faults and troubleshooting technical and non-technical problems. The ICT officer should also ensure protection against cyber threats for the ACORD Uganda ICT systems putting special emphasis on the OVC West Central Activity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
To be responsible for the provision of ICT support for all projects and provide help and support for all staff with their IT support needs in the organization.
- Provide telephone, email and face to face support to staff and team members
- To provide day to day management of access to the ICT systems and services.
- To work alongside the ICT consultants to continually maintain and develop ICT systems and services.
- To monitor and manage the ICT helpdesk to ensure any issues are rectified quickly and efficiently.
- To help monitor that daily backup systems and ensure disaster contingencies are in place in the event of such faults to minimize disruption.
- Provide support to staff during workshops and other public events such as setting up video and teleconference call sessions, gadgets, networks and connections.
- Logging and managing support calls and overseeing repairs or maintenance in the case of equipment which is under warranty or a maintenance or lease agreement.
- Document/ report any system performance bottlenecks to the next level of support (supervisor) and provide a timely response for sustained system functionality.
- Configure user / clients on the messaging system as per ACORD Uganda requirements.
- Monitor data communication and identify any bottlenecks on the VLAN/LAN and ensure accessibility of resources to all users.
To provide installation, maintenance, repair and support of ICT systems and services
To provide technical assistance and basic training to staff.
- Support ACORD Uganda to procure a server and develop an Active Directory of Users and Computer domain services.
- Assess hardware and software infrastructure needs at user and organisational level to ensure deployment of appropriate technology platforms.
- Define the gaps in hardware and software infrastructure and propose appropriate technology installations and upgrades.
- Configuration and installation of new/replacement PC, server, and peripheral hardware, including printers, whiteboards, projectors, scanners etc.
- Proactively checking and maintaining ICT facilities and software within ICT suites and vigilantly spotting ICT equipment that has been damaged or misused.
- Verify hardware and software technology supplies and services to assure quality and value for money.
- Conduct routine audits of hardware and software technology functionality and ensure timely response to functionality challenges in order to minimise hardware and software malfunctions.
- In consultation with the ICT consultants, define technology specifications to inform procurement of appropriate hardware/software technology.
- Enforce standard operating procedures, policies and performance standards to ensure implementation of quality technology and communication infrastructure
- To train other staff in the appropriate use of ICT facilities and equipment within the organization, such as overhead projectors and computers.
- Providing basic support on staff’s own ICT equipment purchased e.g. Laptops, memory sticks.
To provide day to day management of access to the ICT systems and services including logons, passwords, printing and access to files/ user areas
- Creating user and email accounts for new staff.
- Removing access to user and email accounts for staff that leave the organisation.
- Changing staff network passwords as per relevant policy or upon request.
- Support the Organisation particularly the OVC West Central Activity to implement a Wifi Protection Access and authentication framework for wireless network access control.
- Identify active and backup systems bottlenecks, troubleshoot and support timely first line level troubleshooting to ensure effective operations
- Participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of a disaster recovery plan for ACORD Uganda hardware and software infrastructure
Support ACORD Uganda management to successfully implement all ICT related recommendations from the NUPAS exercise including but not limited to related award specific conditions.
Key Performance Indicators
- General administration duties in support of ICT system network.
- Hardware and software system Development and maintenance.
- Staff IT support and capacity development
- System, Data and Information Security
- System and Network Diagnosis and troubleshooting
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in information Technology, Computer Science or related qualification.
- Possession of additional professional qualification and certification is an added advantage
- Experience with any of the following: Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Lync Server, Active Directory, Group Policy, VMWare vSphere.
- At least three years’ experience in ICT administration and support.
- Experience working on USG / USAID projects is an important asset
- Display confidence when dealing with people, with well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Communicate well with staff, service providers and suppliers, exhibiting excellent listening skills.
- Demonstrate high standards of professional behaviour when dealing with tradesmen, service providers, suppliers, staff and clients.
- Ability to investigate issues and requirements as well as to identify and prioritize appropriate mitigation measures.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing processes, constantly seeking system and process improvement.
- Ability to work in a flexible hour environment when required.
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate documentation and related records.
- Ability and willingness to offer assistance to other employees in use of various technologies.
- Ability to build professional relationships with key stakeholders and staff
- Demonstrated interest in technology advancement within the ACORD Uganda.
- Excellent organization and coordination skills;
- Proven ability to work as a team
- Solution and Result-oriented
- Verbal and written communication skills; both internally and externally.
- Analytical skills;
- Presentation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to work with multiple agendas.
- Knowledge of Database computer programmes is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should send CV and Application Letter to email@example.com to apply.
Deadline: 4th November 2022 by 5:00pm