Organization: Medical Research Council (MRC) / UVRI UK
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programme
Position Code: HT817
The MRC/UVRI Uganda Virus Research Unit on AIDS was established following a request in 1988 from the Uganda Government to the British Government for collaboration on the research of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) infection and AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency. The Unit is a center of excellence in HIV/AIDS related research. It conducts large-scale epidemiological and intervention studies, clinical trials, virological and immunological research and behavioural studies, and has generated a wealth of research results that have been used to inform policy and practice that have led to a large number of scientific publications in peer reviewed journals over time.
Job Summary: The Head of Training and Career Development will lead training and career development at the MRC/UVRI Unit and ensure timely development and implementation of the 5-year training and career development plan, working closely with the Theme Leaders, Programme and Section Heads to identify needs and ensure they are addressed. The incumbent will carry out training and career development needs assessments and integrate input from stakeholders, and needs identified during performance appraisal, to manage a dynamic training and career development programme. This will provide training solutions to include, implementation, administration, and/or design and delivery of high-quality programs that engage, align, inform, and inspire employees in support of core MRC strategy, goals, and initiatives. The jobholder will also actively contribute to the development of local, regional and international training collaborations and networks.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with Theme Leaders, Programme and Section Heads develops and conducts audits to identify training and career development needs and trends within Unit and work out the appropriate interventions to cover these gaps under the performance improvement plan for performance improvement included in the 5-year training and career development plan.
- Tasked with managing and ensuring the optimal and transparent use of any funding allocated for training and career development, and submits quarterly reports to management on expenditure.
- In charge of developing and managing a high quality structured researchers training programme which involves significant experience and exposure to international cutting edge research.
- Developing staff and postdoctoral career structure, which attracts, retains and develops the most outstanding potential researchers and support staff and develops leadership qualities.
- Working closely with Theme Leaders and Heads of programme, supports staff, particularly upcoming scientists, in developing their research grants applications.
- Working with respective supervisors, manages Continuing Professional Development for all staff across the respective programmes to ensure continuous updating of skills among staff.
- Work in liaison with the Theme leaders and Heads of programme, supports strategic and succession planning for the respective programmes particularly with regard to capacity building. Responsible for developing and managing networks and links with other research institutions including UVRI and academic institutions in Uganda and the region which act as points of recruitment, sources of expertise and collaboration and potential sites for the later development of careers for researchers trained in the unit.
- Working with the respective heads, identifies appropriate learning and development opportunities to include local and overseas trainings, workshops and conferences and oversees smooth processing of the required attendance
- Identifies and communicates appropriate training opportunities and scholarships including workshops, conferences and seminars both local and international.
- Develops and maintains training tracking including participation, costs, this includes managing the internal unit scholarship support programmes for Bachelors, MSc and PhD with the necessary bonding.
- Identifies and keeps track of the appropriate presentations to scientific seminar series.
- Ensures systematic monitoring and evaluation of training activities: documentation of events, records of participation, collection of feedback,
- implementation of lessons learned, soliciting and analysing outputs and outcomes.
- Identifies calls and writes, or participates in writing, training grants and proposals to attract additional training funds to support the core training budget.
- Prepares reports to Unit Management Committee, Scientific Advisory Committee Science and administrators meetings and to other relevant external stakeholders.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in a scientific related field with a bias and experience in managing training & career development in a scientific / research environment.
- A minimum of four years’ experience in a training and career development capacity, preferably working as a Senior Training and Development Officer in a large scientific or research setting.
- A suitable candidate will also have gathered his/her working experience working in a scientific research setting with complex matrix set-up with diversified departments.
- Scientists who may not have the above experience but can demonstrate ability and interest in taking on this training and development role may also be considered.
- Proven and successful experience facilitating training campaigns through instructional design concepts, adult learning concepts, and technology. A suitable candidate will also have demonstrated successful experience leveraging technology in order to deliver training in new ways.
- Communication Skills: Communication skills are imperative for this position, firstly due to the leadership capacity; the clarity in which information and instructions are passed down from the Head of Training and Career Development to the junior personnel will be a great determinant of the performance of the department.
- Possess exceptional communication skills for drawing training materials and reports intended for senior training and career development management. These materials and reports must be clear, concise, engaging, unambiguous, and convincing.
- MS Office: A candidate for this position must be highly proficient in the use of Ms Word, Ms Excel, and PowerPoint, all necessary for the creation of visually and verbally engaging training materials and reports for senior training and development management and key stakeholders.
- Analytical Skills: A candidate for this position will have the ability to identify performance improvement opportunities and gaps, conduct analyses, and develop solutions that will deliver the desired results through training programs. The candidate will also need to have knowledge of instructional methodologies, progression theory, learning evaluation models, and various delivery methods.
- Interpersonal Skills: A candidate for this position must be a strategic and creative thinker, he/she will be detail and result oriented, be open and welcoming to change, be comfortable working in group settings, be self-motivated working under minimal supervision, have an ability to handle multiple projects and meet tight deadlines, and demonstrate composure under stress and in times of uncertainty.
- Leadership/People Skills: The candidate for this position must demonstrate an ability to develop strong relationships with others and leverage those relationships across the business by influencing management to take up training programs that ultimately influence the overall performance of the unit.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their application letters, curriculum vitae including names, email addresses and telephone contact details of three (3) referees and copies of academic qualifications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the Position Code in the subject line (Check Top of Advert).
Deadline: 25th August 2017