Job Title: Accountant
The Government of Uganda has received credit from the World Bank towards implementation of the Competitive and Enterprise Development Project (CEDP). The project development objective (PDO) is to improve the competitiveness of enterprises in Uganda through supporting reforms in priority productive and service sectors geared towards a better investment climate with particular focus on MSMEs.
The 5 year project comprises of four major components and will be implemented by seven agencies. However, the overall coordination of the Project will lie with the Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) through a Project Coordination Unit (PCU).
Job Summary: The Accountant will support the coordination unit in day-to-day finance function activities of budget execution, processing accounting transactions, providing updates on project expenditure and participating in preparation of periodic financial reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out analysis of payment requests and reconcile them with approved documentation including purchase orders (LPO) and contracts.
- Process and post payment invoices into financial management system in line with approved work plans.
- Process payments to service providers and remit statutory deduction to relevant authorities in accordance with operating guidelines.
- Generating summary of LPO in the financial management system on monthly basis, prepare reports on outstanding payments / obligations and extract periodic commitment control Reports.
- Updating expenditure control cards for contractual payments and ensure no contract over-runs
- Compiling and preparing staff payroll and remit statutory deductions to the relevant authorities.
- Reviewing reimbursement claims submitted from the projects components and project implementation unit and process payment in compliance with operational and financial procedures.
- Reviewing expenditure accountability documentation for completeness, adequacy and compliance with financial and operational guidelines.
- Review financial transactions entered into the system and generate Payment Vouchers for documentation and filing.
- Preparing schedule of payments approved by FMS indicating period taken to complete payment process;
- Carry out monthly bank reconciliation and prepare reconciliation statements for review by the FMS
- Actively participate in preparation of periodic progress management reports in accordance with GOU and donor guidelines.
- Assist in preparation of annual statutory financial reports and accounts.
- Generating expenditure reports on motor vehicle and telephone usage.
- Update CEDP stores records and the assets register as appropriate
- Perform any other duties as will be assigned from time to time
Key Performance Indicators:
- Monthly report on outstanding invoices and payments to service providers
- Maintained filling system of payment documentation.
- Updated advance register & listing of accountability from components
- Monthly bank reconciliation statements
- Payroll and update on statutory deduction returns
- Monthly expenditure reports on motor vehicle and telephone usage
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The incumbent should possess an Honors degree in Accounting or Finance, Bachelor of Commerce, Business Administration with a major in accounts;
- Professional Qualification in Accountancy (CPA or ACCA)
- At least five (5) years of Finance and Accounting experience in public sector and at least two with donor funded project.
- Computer literacy skills with knowledge in the use of Accounting Software Application, (e.g. Oracle Financials, Navision Microsoft Office) Knowledge of IFMS is an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Proven high degree of honesty, integrity and versatility.
- The applicant must be prepared to work under pressure to meet tight project targets
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate well with a multiplicity of stakeholders.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to deliver their application letters, updated curriculum vita and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
Please indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
The Project Coordinator,
Competitiveness and Enterprise Development Project (CEDP)
Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU)
Plot 43, Nakasero Road,
P. O. Box 7683, Kampala- Uganda.
Deadline: 1st September, 2014