Job Title: Education Project Coordinator
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and later to Ethiopia, Yemen, Djibouti, Eritrea and incorporated Uganda. The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for internally displaced people and Refugees in Northern Uganda and West Nile respectively, since 1987. Having smoothly phased-out these projects, NRC is currently making all the necessary preparations to begin new interventions in Education and Food Security to address the needs and rights of refugees in West Nile, mainly in Adjumani and Arua districts. NRC has established its office in Adjumani/Parkelle to support its project activities and liaise with Government, UN and implementing partners operating in Adjumani and Arua refugee settlements.
Job Summary: The Education Project Coordinator will be responsible for start up of Education activities in the refugee camps in West Nile.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively coordinate and implement the Education project according to strategy, proposals and plans
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Develop annual activity and work plans
- Mentoring, training and development of Education staff
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Cooperate with relevant partners and local authorities
- Organize trainings for the Education team, relevant partners and beneficiaries
- Compile and produce monthly activity/project reports and other reporting as required
- Ensure proper filing of all project documents
- Take overall responsibility for the running of ALP activities in Adjumani/Arua
- Steer and participate in actual ALP design, inception and implementation.
- Ensure the quality, direction and consistency of the ALP.
- Take lead in the running of YEP activities in Adjumani/Arua
- Initiate and oversee the recruitment of learners and teachers for YEP centers
- Ensure high quality of the teaching process, IGAs and the YEP products
- Ensure that detailed work plans for all YEP activities are prepared by programme staff in a coordinated and timely manner
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a good Bachelor of Arts in Education/Social Sciences/Development Studies
- Five or more years’ experience from working as a Education Project Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in refugee contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in both written and verbalEnglish
- Knowledge of the context in Adjumani/Arua
- Knowledge of the local language Arabic
- Past experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Ability to ride motorcycle
- Manage performance to optimize results
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates who wish to join one of the world’s leading relief organisations, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) should Apply by visiting the web link below.
Deadline: 27th September 2014.