The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa –SIHA Network is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women’s groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of African countries. SIHA is advocating for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn of Africa and working specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights, peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political participation and production and dissemination of knowledge.
SIHA secretariat is in Kampala, Uganda from where all programs are monitored. SIHA furthermore has offices across the Horn region. www.sihanet.org
Job Summary: The Fundraising and Programme Development Officer is a strategic post within SIHA regional secretariat; this post will be directly overseen by the SIHA Regional Director. The Position will focus on development of proposals, conduct research on the SIHA priorities, develop a formal fundraising strategy and identify most suitable donor agencies and funding trends. He or she will have a good understanding of international donor requirements, and a strong ability to demonstrate donor priorities in funding applications submitted by SIHA. The Fundraising and Programme Development Officer is expected to strengthen SIHA’s fundraising and capacity, and to initiate innovative project ideas to support women, and their rights and development in the Horn of Africa countries.
Organisation: The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and identify opportunities for fundraising, and to suggest ideas for new programs and initiatives;
- Conduct in conjunction with the SIHA team, proposal development and design, and the drafting of SIHA’s fundraising strategy;
- Liaise with relevant staff, focal points and member organisations to prepare proposals, concepts and reports on programmes;
- Liaise and communicate with donors, as per direction or as appropriate;
- Conduct communication and liaison with SIHA members in relation to proposal development, project implementation and reporting;
- Undertake administrative tasks as per requirements;
- Conduct relevant desk based research and information gathering on SIHA focus work areas and opportunities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate will have proven experience in conducting proposal development, donor liaison and reporting, and a successful track record of securing funds both regionally and internationally.
- Exhibit commitment to women rights and the principles of gender equality, respect and interest in social movement, is essential.
- Good understanding and /or interest of the politics and human rights dynamics in the Horn of Africa especially Sudan, South Sudan and Somalia is important for this post.
- This position requires strong analytical skills, ability to work under pressure and to pay attention to details.
- The successful candidate will work closely with the SIHA team in the countries of the region in the design and development of proposals, and will provide additional support to program requirements such as monitoring and evaluation, reporting and donor liaison.
- Where possible, the person may be required to assist with capacity-building of partner agencies, and assist with project oversight.
- Good working knowledge, understanding and experience working in a multicultural environment in the Horn of Africa region and a good grasp of the Horn of Africa socio-political context;
- Knowledge and understanding of proposal writing with track record of successfully writing proposals for international donors (meaning donor agencies that are based outside of the country)
- Proven excellent writing skills, able to construct long& detailed document between 25-50 pages
- Knowledge and understanding of development of human rights issues, preference for experience working on gender and women’s rights and working with civil society organisations;
- Knowledge and understanding of international donors trends and fund raising dynamics;
- Strong IT and communication skills;
- Ability to learn, absorb and apply new concepts and ideas;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Pro-active team member;
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of working with, and reporting to donors;
- Speaking any of the Horn of Africa languages will be an added advantage.
Salary: Negotiable, depending on the professional qualifications of the applicant
How to Apply:
Please comprehensively read the requirements and send a CV and cover letter, 3 professional references, contact information and a sample of writing to [email protected] and
cc: [email protected].
Deadline: 25th November 2013 at 5:00 pm.