The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of influenza and other emerging infections.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing the field research and clinical care teams
- Actively participate in generating and designing research protocols including public health evaluations
- Take part in writing manuscripts and publications
- Implement research protocols and related procedures as approved by IRB.
- Work closely with the care and treatment implementation team to identify and develop new research ideas.
- Update the management through-out the delivery of research projects, including formal Reporting.
- In charge of the recruitment of research participants
- Responsible for medical management of research participants
- Ensure compliance with study procedures and GCP/ICH guidelines.
- Ensure participant safety and confidentiality.
- Writing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures.
- Documentation of procedures, processes and events
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Medical Officer should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery. Post Graduate Training in Public Health or related Health field from a recognized institution.
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training and Research Ethics Training
- Comprehensive training in ART management for medical officers .
- Demonstrated ability to generate and develop scientific research concepts
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills
- Fluency in verbal and written English
- Good working knowledge of Regulatory Procedures.
- Use of computers including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, email and Internet.
- Ability to fluently read and speak Luganda.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- A minimum of two or more years of post-qualification professional experience
- Past exposure and experience in HIV prevention, care and treatment services
- Significant experience of living and working in a rural environment.
- Prior experience with/skills in conducting public health evaluations
- Past exposure and experience with PEPFAR related procedures and timelines.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitable candidates should download application forms from http://www.muwrp.org/wp-content/files/FORM.pdf and attach them on their Applications letters, Photocopies of academic qualifications and Resume with three referees quoting the Position Number to: The Human Resource Administrator Makerere University Walter Reed Project Plot 42 Nakasero Road. P.O. Box 16524, Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 29th September 2014