Job Title:Radio Operator – United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The UNDSS Radio Operator will primarily be responsible for the security of the UN personnel, their property as well as the property of the UN and affiliated agencies in Uganda. Its presence is spread across the country with emphasis on the areas with sizeable UN operations and therefore staff members, both national and international. UNDSS has its own structures in place but works hand in hand with the national security infrastructure in executing its mandate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the guidance and supervision of the Local Security Assistant, the Radio Operator shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Manage an efficient emergency coordination centre;
- Operate VHF & HF radios, sat-phones and maintain daily radio and operations log book;
- Obtain security clearance for trips to and from UN operational areas country-wide;
- Regularly check and maintain an updated list of important contacts, agency contacts, SMT, OMT, Warden list and contacts etc.;
- Maintain a detailed incident log book for the daily security reports;
- Gather, compile and forward to the Security Officers and Data Assistant security information for regular reports;
- Prepare and conduct emergency telecommunications briefing for new staff;
- Actively coordinate and follow up with QRF for incident occurrences.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The prospective United Nations UNDSS candidate must have completed Secondary School Education i.e. hold both “O” and “A” level qualifications.
- At least two years’ experience in telex, facsimile and radio operations as well as a certificate in Radio Communications.
Language: Fluent in English.
- Familiar with the operations and services such as PABX, radio, satellite;
- Flexibility in replacing colleagues while on leave within and outside duty station;
- Self-motivated and reliable;
- Computer literate.
NB: Short listed candidates will be required to send certified copies of academic credentials to the Human Resource Unit UNDP.
How to Apply for the job:
If you believe you are one of the ideal candidates for this opportunity in working with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), then visit the web link below for full job details and How to Apply.
NB: UNDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Highly qualified Women are encouraged to apply. Short listed candidates will be required to send certified copies of academic credentials.
Deadline: 8th August 2014