Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Job Summary: The Senior Lecturer – Social Work will teach and mentor students, provide university and professional service, and supervise students.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching normal workload of between 18 to 21 hours per semester.
- Prepare course outlines for all courses taught according to the University format.
- Prepare assessment tools and marking guides accordingly.
- Teaching and assessment of students in accordance with the University’s curriculum.
- Expected to be present for all lectures.
- Maintenance of regular office hours for attending to students’ questions.
- Active participation in regular academic and administrative meetings.
- To chair and participate on ad-hoc or volunteer committees from time to time.
- Supervising students on placements – internships, research papers and projects.
- Advising students on academic issues.
- Should be willing to uphold the University’s Instruments of Christian Identity.
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should possess a PhD in Social Work discipline.
- A minimum of three or more years’ experience in teaching and supervising research for both undergraduates and postgraduate students in an institution of higher learning.
- Should have published a minimum of two new scholarly articles in internationally recognized journals in their area of expertise.
- Membership to a relevant professional body.
- Must be a committed Christian
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references.
Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts
The Director of Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University
P.O Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 22nd September 2014