Teach A Man To Fish has been working in Uganda since 2008. Our current activities include a partnership with Mackay Memorial College in Nateete, Kampala, and the implementation of the School Enterprise Challenge.
Mackay Memorial is a government mixed secondary school located on the outskirts of Kampala, with over 1000 students. Teach A Man To Fish have supported the production of a business plan for Mackay, which includes the development of two businesses: Egg Production and a Dance Troup for events. The businesses are at the start of their implementation period, and we are looking for a Field Officer Assistant to support the Field Officer during this time.
The School Enterprise Challenge is a global competition run by Teach A Man To Fish which supports schools to write and implement a business plan. The competition is extremely active in Uganda with over 150 registrations this year and we are looking for an Assistant Field Officer to support the management and administration of this year’s competition in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Uganda Field Officer Assistant will support the implementation of these programs. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable field experience within an international development NGO, and the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the Development Sector.
Organisation: Teach A Man To Fish
Duty Station: Nateete, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 2nd December 2013 by 10am UK time
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Mackay Business Development:
Assist the Uganda Field Officer in supporting the implementation of two school businesses at Mackay Memorial College. This may include but is not limited to:
- Marketing activities
- Identifying and securing customers for the businesses
- Capacity building in financial management and reporting
- Support the Uganda Field Officer in M&E and monthly reporting activities for the Mackay Business Development Project.
2. School Enterprise Challenge:
Support the Uganda Field Officer with the management and implementation of the School Enterprise Challenge in Uganda. This may include but is not limited to:
- Visiting and developing relationships with participating schools
- Supporting the delivery of workshops
- Creating and developing workshop materials
- Liaising with participating schools regarding the competition via phone and email
- Supporting the Field Officer with the Administration of the competition in Uganda
- Processing and marking business plan submissions and providing feedback
- Support the Uganda Field Officer in M&E and monthly reporting activities for the School Enterprise Challenge Uganda.
Support weekly and monthly project reporting processes
- Contribute to the completion of monthly Field Officer Tasks
- Represent TAMTF at external events when required
- Take part in conference planning activities as required by TAMTF
- Perform any other ad hoc tasks assigned by the Uganda Field Officer or Africa Programmes Manager.
The successful candidate will receive the following benefits:
- Monthly stipend of £200
- Travel to project location
- Accommodation including utilities
- Travel Insurance (up to £20 per month)
- Work Related expenses (e.g transport, internet)
- Please be aware that the monthly stipend aims to cover your living costs however you may incur additional costs depending on your choice of personal activities.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- The applicant should possess experience of financial management or working with budgets
- Experience training adults or peers
- Experience living, working, or volunteering in Uganda
- Experience of working or volunteering in an NGO
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent numerical skills
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial attitude
- Highly developed administration skills
- Previous experience of teaching or training
- Good IT skills particularly word, excel and social media
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Flexibility in different situations
- Previous experience of living, working or volunteering in a developing country
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter informing us of why you are interested in this role and how your skills and experience are relevant, to Emily@teachamantofish.org.uk