Job Title: Legal Manager – Litigation
Organisation: DFCU Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Legal
DFCU bank is a fast growing commercial bank offering a variety of innovative products and services. DFCU Limited was started by the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) of the United Kingdom and the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) under the name of Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. Later restructuring brought in DEG (of Germany) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) as equal partners with CDC and UDC, each having a 25% stake in the company. Its objective was to support long-term development projects whose financing needs and risk did not appeal to the then existing financial commercial lending institutions.
Job Summary: The Legal Manager – Litigation will mainly be responsible for all matters relating to litigation by and against the Bank. S/he will also be the focal contact point in the Bank’s Legal Department on credit recovery matters, and any other matters arising from the routine operations of the Bank with the potential of developing into litigation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keenly review and ensure effective implementation of the agreed litigation strategy, policies, processes and guidelines in the management of cases by and against the Bank.
- Responsible for analysing pleadings of suits filed against the Bank and forming legal opinions as to the Bank’s case.
- Instructing external counsel to prepare and file the Bank’s defence or oppose such applications, as applicable, and generally ensure effective legal representation for the Bank in all maters in which the Bank is involved.
- Represent the Bank in court, and or procure the attendance of the relevant parties in all matters in which the Bank’s interests are at stake.
- Tasked with monitoring external law firms to ensure that they fulfil their obligations as provided for in the applicable Service Level Agreements.
- Ensure the maintenance of an update data base for all litigation matters and timeously generate monthly or other reports as may be required/directed from time to time.
- Originate the annual litigation budget and ensure effective budget management.
- Provide effective leadership to the Litigation Unit to ensure achievement of its, and the department’s set objectives.
- The incumbent will avail legal advice to the business units on legal issues arising in their various areas of operation to forestall any practises that could lead to avoidable litigation.
- Be proactive in the management of the Bank’s litigation portfolio through amongst others employing networks with the Bank’s external counsel and other relevant stakeholders to develop strategies and common understanding on how to execute instructions of the Bank in an efficient, cost effective and timely manner to ensure timely and cost effective means of resolution of disputes.
- Ensure the effective implementation of the relevant provisions of the Credit Policy that provide for the Legal Department’s involvement in the recovery process including issuance of statutory demands, appointment of auctioneersand receivers and the general legal support required in the security realisation process.
- Proactively support the Bank’s recovery teams in the management of delinquent accounts.
- The incumbent will dispense general legal advice to the Bank network as part of the legal advisory services offered by the Legal Department
- The jobholder will take on other responsibilities in the Legal Department as shall be designated by the Head of Legal from time to time
- Represent, or act for the Head of Legal as shall be communicated from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the DFCU Bank Legal Manager – Litigation career opportunity must hold a University Law Degree
- Possession of a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
- Enrolled Advocate of the High Court & all Courts subordinate thereto.
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in a busy private law firm handling Litigation and recoveries matters or actual experience of managing a litigation portfolio of a commercial entity, at a senior level.
- Extensive knowledge in Banking/Finance is an added advantage.
- Strong grasp and in-depth knowledge of the principles and laws governing Banking & Corporate Law, Leasing/asset finance, Laws governing Land & Mortgages among others.
- Good grasp of the Civil Procedure Act and Rules to ably check and guide external Lawyers on how to best represent the Bank..
- Extensive knowledge of the law and best practice on repossession, realization of security and receiverships amongst other recovery strategies.
- Strong commercial acumen and the ability to negotiate, articulate and make a case for the Bank with various stakeholders at all levels of engagement, both internal and external.
- Good legal research and analytical skills and the ability to develop clear strategies for a good defence and or recovery.
- Ability to identify potential litigation matters and advise on how to avert court action
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in Word, excel and other applicationsincidental thereto.
- Self-motivated, results orientated with ability to make timely and appropriate decisions when called for.
- Demonstrable leadership and communication abilities
How to Apply:
All candidates who so wish to join the banking sector in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to send their applications with detailed CVs including present position and copies of relevant professional/academic certificates to: [email protected]
Deadline: 28th July 2017