North Korea to partner with Makerere University

North Korea to partner with Makerere University
R-L Prof. George Mondo Kagonyera, Prof. John Muyonga,Hon. Kang Ha Kuk and part of the Korean delegation admire products from the School of Food Technology, Nutrition and Bio-Engineering.

The Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Korea, Hon. Kung Suk Ung, has expressed willingness to partner with Makerere University in mutual areas of interest. The Minister who was responding to a call from the Chancellor, Prof. George Mondo Kagonyera, on 31st October 2014, observed that North Korea has had bilateral relations with Uganda for a long time and collaborating with Makerere University would be an added advantage.

“Makerere University is a big institution of higher learning in the region. 25% of our students study science courses and the other 75% are in the arts discipline. We have trained many of the world leaders like the late Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Mwai Kibaki of Kenya and continue to be hungry for knowledge. We look forward with excitement to pick knowledge from your country. Many of our students would like t be exposed to the technology in your country and we look forward to opportunities of collaboration,” said Chancellor Kagonyera.

“Seventy years ago we had only one university but as of today we have over 260 universities with thousands of students. President Museveni told us that the first tank force in Uganda was trained by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, DPRK.  I also know that many of your doctors trained in North Korea. We fully give attention to your opinion on collaborating with North Korea and we will discuss it further when we return home. We will come back and discuss with you,” responded Hon. Kung Suk Ung.

Hon. Kang Ha Kuk, Minister of Health of DPRK receiving a plaque from The Chancellor, Makerere University Prof. George Mondo Kagonyera.

Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe, the Acting Vice Chancellor observed that “As the leading academic institution in the region, Makerere University is passionate about innovations generated through knowledge transfer partnerships and networking. We are particularly hopeful, that partnerships with universities and research institutions in the DPRK will enable us leverage the rich experience of those institutions, as we search for solutions for our national development. We also believe that such partnerships will help further cement the friendly relations between the people of Uganda and the DPRK. It is therefore my sincere wish that your visit will facilitate these partnerships.”

The delegation informed Makekere University that North Korea has been looking forward to developing further relations with Uganda, which hosts the only Korean Embassy in the whole of the Eastern region.

The fifteen member visiting delegation, was led by Hon. Kang Ha Kuk, Minister of Health of DPRK. They toured the School of Food Technology, Nutrition and Bioengineering, where they saw the production line and other key innovations as explained by Prof. John Muyonga.

Story by Marion Alina

Loading spinner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

42 − = 39

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.