U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-30
Position Title: OBO Senior Administrative Assistant
Opening Period: 7/12/2019 – 7/25/2019
Series/Grade: 0105 FSN-07/FP-7
Salary: UGX 46,440,981
For More Info: [email protected]
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Approximately 3 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of OBO Senior Administrative Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: Reporting to the Overseas Building Operations (OBO) Project Director, the incumbent serves as OBO Kampala’s Office Administrator as well as, the Personal Assistant to the OBO Project Director (PD). Coordinates the PD’s daily activities and monitors his/her calendar. Manages all office activities including but not limited to; supervising personnel work activities, procurement actions, travel arrangements, time and attendance (T&A) reporting for payroll purposes. Serves as a liaison personnel with the Financial Management Office (FMO) in relation to OBO budget matters. Schedules maintenance and repairs of all office equipment, monitors the inventory and orders the office’s non-expendable and expendable supplies. Ensures that the office’s professional standards are maintained at all times. S/he takes on clerical duties from time to time.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: 2 year post-secondary Diploma in Secretarial Studies, Administration or Management studies from an accredited institution is required.
EXPERIENCE: Four years of progressive work experience in clerical/secretarial/administrative duties with 1 year (of the four years) in a supervisory position, is required
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A thorough knowledge of office management functions, service, procedures and standard information sources is required. Good working knowledge of computer systems and programs used to support secretarial and cost control functions like Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and Word), Bookkeeping software, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level IV fluency in speaking/reading/writing English is required.
Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing of English is required and will be tested.
Level 2 (Limited Knowledge) speaking of Luganda or Runyakitara is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The ability to supervise staff with tact in a busy office environment, excellent people and communication skills. Ability to lift office supplies or equipment 5-10 pounds, Excellent Customer service, Ability to multi-task, Ability to manage an office budget, Ability to coordinate with others. Advanced computer skills and Level II (more than 40 words/ per minute) typing skills.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below
Please note this is a new application link – you are required to create a new profile on this link.
- For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office