Job Title: Officer, Routine Control
Organisation: Stanbic Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Officer, Routine Control will;
- Control Execution and Monitoring: Support the delivery of an independent assurance on the effectiveness of controls across the business by executing control assurance assessments, within the agreed timeframes, providing assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of controls.
- Proactively identifying and assessing operational and compliance risks to ensure that internal controls are maintained at acceptable levels across the business.
- Control Reporting: Robust reporting mechanisms for key control performance indicators, exceptions, trends and operational incidents.
- Training and awareness: Coach, support and deliver and implement the control framework across the business.
- Administration: Effective utilisation of resources i.e. budgets, costs and assets
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Risk and Control
- Provide input into the routine controls monitoring strategy.
- Execute planned and adhoc assurance monitoring reviews in liaison with the relevant key stakeholders in compliance with the approved assurance methodology.
- Timely and quality execution of all the scheduled assessments, control validation reviews as per the departmental activity plan.
- Support the development, maintenance and update monitoring checklists used as a mechanism for monitoring, assessing and reporting on adequacy and effectiveness of controls across the network.
- Facilitate, conduct monitoring reviews on the effective implementation, adoption and utilisation of control validation tools e.g. CODAC across the network.
- Execute validation reviews of the accuracy and effectiveness of the control validation tools.
- Validate and review that controls related to new product roll outs, business and initiatives and process changes are effective and are in place pre and post implementation.
- Validate and facilitate as appropriate the implementation of remedial actions from internal audits, regulatory reviews, FCC investigations, control reviews and other such assurance reviews is undertaken as agreed with the business units. This will involve validation of implemented interventions prior to closure of the issues.
- Execute assurance reviews to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, compliance with policies and adherence to procedures thereby contributing towards management efforts to achieve an improved and sustainable control environment.
- Validate implemented risk and compliance management processes – as identified and assessed by Risk and Compliance to ensure adherence to standards, policies and procedures.
- Identify inadequate processes and controls, escalate and report irregularities to facilitate the modification of processes where required.
- Execute assurance monitoring reviews over the effective implementation of the operational risk framework i.e. loss control, incident management, BCM, IRM as per the approved risk management framework across the network.
- Conduct and facilitate formal root cause analysis, identification and implementation of appropriate remedial actions across the network.
- Continually innovate simpler, better and yet effective solutions to enhance key control capabilities within the control function and across the network.
- Work actively with the broader control team to effectively manage the end to end implementation of control monitoring and improvement initiatives.
- Timely provision of routine dashboards as per determined frequency on activities and the state of the control environment to the relevant stakeholders.
- Present monitoring and control review reports to the Manager Routine Control Monitoring for review and issue to the relevant stakeholders.
- Escalate breaches and incidents for control breaches that require management direction as per the appropriate escalation processes, including active participation in identifying and execution of the remedial actions.
Training and Awareness
- Execution of agreed training initiatives towards improvement of the control environment are planned and executed as required across the network.
- Identify coaching & support opportunities and facilitate the implementation of the appropriate interventions.
- Share and disseminate lessons and awareness messages across the network.
People and Administration
- Ensure that individual appropriate training initiatives are planned and executed.
- Manage available resources and ensuring effective utilisation for the benefit of the bank.
- Manage the operational costs (telephone, travel expenses), within the approved budget.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Stanbic Bank Officer, Routine Control job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field, from a recognised University
- At least two to three years of exposure to routine risk / audit /control management
- Good analytical skills.
- A good working knowledge of the various systems used in the Bank and the linkages.
- A good understanding of the business; products, channels, network, customer segmentation, competitive environment.
- A good understanding of the interrelationships between the bank and its key stakeholders; Staff, regulators and regulatory environment, shareholders,
- Computer literate with competence in use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Standard Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by visiting Link below.