Job Title: Principal Internal Auditor
Organisation: Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager Internal Audit
The Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) is a body corporate established under Cap.137 Laws of Uganda. Its Vision is “A Recognized Centre of Globally Competitive Educational Assessment and Certification” and its mission is “Conduct Valid, Reliable, Equitable and Quality Assessment of Learners’ Achievement in a Professional and Innovative Manner and Award Internationally Recognized Certificates”.
Job Summary: The Principal Internal Auditor will assist the Manager – Internal Audit in preparing and implementing a Risk Based Audit plan to assess, report on and make suggestions for improving the Board’s key operational and financial activities and internal controls.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with Senior Management and Audit Committee, develop a comprehensive and flexible audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive audit program for evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the Board’s system of internal control and the quality of performance in carrying out assigned responsibilities
- Examining and evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the Board’s system of internal control and the quality of performance in carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- Implementing the audit plan, including as appropriate any special tasks or projects requested by management or the audit committee.
- Preparing periodic reports to management and as appropriate, to the audit committee providing information on the status and results of the audit plan and the sufficiency of audit department resources.
- Promoting high levels of ethical awareness, and conduct within the Board, and administering independent investigations of potential ethical problems or conflicts of interest.
- Preparing periodic reports for management and, as appropriate, for the audit committee on significant issues related to internal control processes to ensure that these processes are appropriate for the current and evolving business environment.
- Coordinating audit activities with those of the external auditors to ensure proper audit coverage, elimination of duplication of effort, and improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of audit activities.
- Proactively interacting with executive, business unit, and operating management to ensure that their audit and business-risk management needs are met cost-effectively
- Where appropriate, provide an independent assessment of business management’s view on risk, and associated control effectiveness, and evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of business-risk management processes and programs.
- Promoting business unit and operating Board ownership of internal controls and support objective business risk management within the organization.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Board risks and priorities reviewed validated and provided to the audit committees for review and concurrence;
- Audit programs developed and implemented
- All internal controls and quality of performance are periodically examined and evaluated.
- Audit reports are periodically prepared.
- Investigations of malpractices and misuse of resources carried out and Notify management and the audit committees of the findings, as appropriate.
- Audit activities coordinated with those of the external auditors to ensure proper audit coverage, elimination of duplication of effort, and improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of audit activities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor’s degree in either Commerce or Business Administration with a bias in Accounting, or Finance Plus a Full Professional Accountancy qualification such as ACCA/CPA/CIA
- A Master’s degree in Financial Management /Accountancy / Business Administration/Audit management or related management discipline obtained from a recognized accredited awarding institution.
- A registered member of the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Minimum of 9 years relevant experience gained from large reputable organizations or Government Ministries, Departments or Agency (MDA) or a reputable organization at least three of which, at a level equivalent to a Senior Officer.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the IPPF and Internal Audit Standards
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office, accounting software, and databases.
- Experience leading cultural and organizational change within an audit function
- Strong leadership skills and high objectivity
- Good computer skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical/quantitative skills
- Unquestionable honesty, ethics, integrity, and confidentiality
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications with detailed CVs, copies of academic transcripts and certificates, telephone contacts and addresses of at least three referees in hard copies, delivered to the address below OR submit in soft form at email@example.com
The Executive Director
Uganda National Examinations Board
Plot 35 Martyrs way – Ntinda
P O Box 7066 – KAMPALA. Uganda
Deadline: 4th November 2022