Job Title: Program Development Specialist
Organisation: Welthungerhilfe (WHH)
Duty Station: Welthungerhilfe Country Office Kampala, Uganda
Welthungerhilfe (WHH), founded in 1962, is today one of the biggest non-governmental aid and development agencies in Germany. The objective of the program in Uganda is to improve livelihoods of the most vulnerable population in rural areas through interventions that increase their Food and Nutrition Security, improve sustainable access to WASH services and support the employability of the youth through vocational and life skills training. We understand that livelihoods of the rural population in Uganda have improved in a sustainable way when people are able to meet their basic food needs, have access to clean drinking water and safe sanitation, live in a healthy environment and take up opportunities to earn and diversify a decent income.
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills, and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe! As a politically and confessionally independent organization, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles and all our work is led by six core values: Accountability, Courage, Respect, Transparency, Commitment and Curiosity. If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Program Development Specialist, Location: Welthungerhilfe Country Office Kampala
Job Summary: The aim of the position is to develop project proposals, that, successfully address the needs of target groups in Uganda, meet donor requirements, are technically sound, up-to-date, and innovative. The main areas for project designs are for the fight against hunger and in particular Food and Nutrition security, WASH, Skills Development, Gender and Natural Resource Management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
- Writing of concepts and proposals in coordination with technical staff, field teams, MEAL team and Finance team
- Ensure that needs of the target groups are well understood (e.g. through conducting/reviewing assessments, feasibility studies) and effectively addressed through the planned interventions/proposals.
- Work with the MEAL team to develop robust and feasible logical frameworks for new programmes, taking into account Welthungerhilfe standards.
- Train and mentor technical staff in proposal development and ensure that professional proposal development plans are followed.
- Together with the Country Director and Partner Coordinator, build and maintain relationships with local donor agency representatives, potential consortium partners (national and international) and Ugandan ministries.
- Lead the process to develop effective communication materials indicating programme overviews, success stories and capacity statements that support effective communication of the Ugandan programme to third parties.
- Lead the coordination and development of the country programme in the areas of food and nutrition security and natural resource management, together with the programme’s technical staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a university degree in International Development, Social Science or other relevant subject.
- Minimum of Five years proven extensive experience of leading the preparation of successful funding (narrative and budget) proposals in the main thematic areas as mentioned above.
- Seven years extensive experience in planning, securing, and managing funds from institutional donors as well as a thorough understanding of development programming.
- Minimum of 5 years extensive experience of project management and project cycle management, including project design, implementation, and evaluation in the areas of Food and Nutrition security, Natural Resource Management.
- Similar experience in the areas of WASH and Skills Development will be considered a strong asset.
- Highly developed interpersonal and English communication skills in verbal and writing
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses
- Teamwork, flexibility, and willingness to travel extensively to the different project locations
- Demonstrated personal accountability and drive to serve others
- Strong organizational, planning and time – management skills, detail -oriented
- Information dissemination skills, ability to understand, explain and contextualize
- Able to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Able to analyze problems and design solutions at strategic and functional levels.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently
How to Apply:
All Qualified and interested applicants should submit their applications with a detailed CV contact details including telephone numbers of reference persons (max. 3 pages) and a one-page motivation letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Files should be submitted in single email with standard file types like MS Word(.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and should not exceed 2MB.
Please indicate the position for which you are applying for in the subject line of your E-mail. Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates and People with Disabilities (PWDs) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job applicant’s privacy notice: All the information you provide during the process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements if necessary. We will not share any of the information you provide during the recruitment process with any third parties outside of this purpose
Deadline: 3rd November 2022