Job Title: Project Accountant
Organisation: Berkeley Energy Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Financial Accountant
Berkeley Energy Uganda is a Ugandan Company established by Berkeley Energy (the fund manager for the African Renewable Energy Fund “AREF”) to develop, construct and operate hydro projects in Uganda. BEU provides management and professional services to the SPVs in which AREF has invested. BEU provides management and professional services to the hydro projects that AREF has invested in in Uganda. Currently, AREF has three operational hydro-power plants and several projects in development.
Job Summary: The Project Accountant is responsible for general accounting of the Company and or any of its entities as assigned by the Financial Accountant or Financial Controller. The Accountant will ensure compliance with the company financial policies and procedures manual and the enforcement of the Company internal control systems and ensuring the integrity of accounting when recording, verifying and posting transactions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Internal financial controls: Ensure compliance with the company finance policy and procedures manual and the internal control systems of the company.
- Cash flow forecast: Prepare cashflow forecasts as required by management.
- Budgeting: Participate in the preparation of the company budget.
- Monthly reports; Prepare monthly management accounts and reporting pack as per management guidelines and timelines.
- External audit: Prepare the necessary reports and documents for annual financial audit and liaise with the company external auditors in the audit process.
- Tax and other obligations: Ensure the company complies to tax and other regulations.
- Tax returns: Prepare tax and other regulatory returns including, but not limited to, VAT, PAYE, NSSF, Income Tax, Provisional Returns and other statutory returns.
- Banks: Review of the company bank accounts including daily bank movement review and weekly and monthly bank reconciliation and other bank facilities reports.
- Balance sheet: Prepare balance sheet accounts schedules and reconciliation (including ageing) on a monthly basis.
- General ledger management: Maintain the company General ledger and ensure that all transactions are correctly posted and have the necessary supporting documentation. Ensure that all documents are posted in the correct general ledger account, control accounts and cost centers, where applicable.
- Posting: Prepare and post approved general journal entries and all other documents of original entry.
- Trade receivables: Manage trade receivables including raising and posting of invoices, preparation and sending of customer statements, customer dispute resolution, debt collection, preparation and sending and review of debtors aged listing and bad debt provision schedules.
- Accounts payables management: Process supplier purchase orders, supplier invoices, payment requisitions, posting of payments and allocation of the same to invoices, supplier dispute resolution and preparation of payable reports including aged analysis reports.
- Stakeholder reporting: Prepare specific stakeholder reports (including lenders) under the guidance of the Financial Accountant.
- Fixed asset register: Maintain the Company Fixed Asset Register and ensure it is updated with additions, disposals, depreciation, and revaluation on a monthly basis. Prepare the PPE schedule monthly.
- Inventory: Manage the company inventory and ensure that it is correctly valued, safeguarded from any fraud and participate in the quarterly and annual stock take.
- Payroll: Prepare the Company payroll and maintain the necessary records. Send out pay slips monthly.
- Project accounting: Prepare the project management accounts and reports, ensuring internal control systems are complied with, maintain project-related documents and perform any project management responsibilities as agreed with the Plant Manager.
- Confidentiality: Secure the Company’s financial information and documents to keep the same confidential.
- Provide support to Financial Accountant and/or Financial Controller as required from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a University Degree in Accounting.
- CPA or ACCA qualification (Advanced Sections or Finalist).
- At least three years’ experience in a busy commercial environment.
- Experience in preparation of management accounts and financial reports.
- Experience and proficiency in the use accounting software. Experience with SAGE Evolution will be an added advantage.
- Advanced Excel and other Microsoft Office Software capabilities a must.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and pride in work.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Initiative and teamwork.
How to Apply:
Applications should be emailed to Procurement@berkeley-energy.ug including the application letter and updated CV (in pdf format) with at least two work-related references. Only candidates who meet the required specifications will be contacted.
Deadline: Thursday 8th September 2022 at 5:00pm