Job Title: Safeguarding Officer
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Job Summary: NRC Uganda is looking for a committed professional, to fill in the gap of a Safeguarding Officer with the Kampala South West Area office. If this meets your portfolio, then send in that application.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct a risk assessment to identify risks to children’s safety and protection in the education programme.
- Work with partners to develop a coordinated and collaborative mitigation strategy to the identify risks
- Ensure that measures are in place that prevent and mitigate risk that partner staff or activities would inflict any form of violence, neglect, exploitation, abuse or sexual harm to children
- Participate actively on risk assessment to ensure we do not expose children to further risk and harm
- Monitor field activities and assess whether Child protection and Safeguarding measures are
- in place in accordance with the established policies and plans. Document factors around the gaps or failures and the necessary achievements
- Work with and follow-up with stakeholders to ensure that identified risks and gaps are addressed in a timely and appropriate manner
- Organize regular meetings with program staff and other stakeholder to review and ensure the implementation of the safe-programming strategy/checklist
- Address and Report concerns regarding failure to mitigate child protection and Safeguarding risks to the Field Coordinator and Area Manager.
- Submit technical reports in accordance with the work plan and established deadlines, while ensuring that all activities are conducted and reported through accurate and verifiable reporting system
- Support the training, capacity building and mentoring of field staff and awareness raising of non-staff (contractors and incentive labour) on minimum protection standards
- Coach and support protection a staff and Focal Points in schools, community, and other stakeholders to improve child protection and Safeguarding practice and responsiveness
- Support in establishing and strengthening child protection referral systems in schools and communities.
- Make sure the reliable reporting mechanisms are in place and known by all
- Ensure consented informed referral to child having suffered abuses
- Ensure that confidentiality and the security of all are maintained in case of incidents
- Advocacy with stakeholders to enforce child protection and safeguarding during and after incidents
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychosocial science or related field
- Experience in Child Protection domain and Psychosocial Support
- At least three years’ experience child protection related project experience in humanitarian /recovery context.
- Experience for working as Protection or Safeguarding Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience working in refugee /complex and volatile contexts
- Experience working in coordination and liaising with external actors
- Experience developing and delivering protection training and good presentation skills in English
- Ability to multi-task and work with short deadlines
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th October 2022