Job Title: Solid Waste Management Internship
Organisation: Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Internship Duration: 15 JUL 2022 – 15 JAN 2023
Hiring manager: Mohammad Ali Shaikh, UG17 project Manager
Stipend: GGGI interns receive a monthly stipend of USD$500 per month. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
Job Summary: If you are thinking of entering the world of international organizations and green growth, an internship at the GGGI could be the ideal start for you. The objective of the internship is to give you a first-hand experience of the day-to-day working at GGGI. The Internship Program is a project-oriented learning opportunity for graduate students to gain experience through research assignments based on GGGI’s current operational needs. GGGI welcomes motivated, open-minded, and self-directed individuals to apply. You will be given an opportunity to work directly with outstanding and inspiring Green Growth professionals, participate in workshops and meetings, and contribute to analytical work as well as innovative rethinking on sustainable green growth. Interns will be selected based on merit and cannot be children or siblings of current GGGI staff members.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- You are enrolled in a Master’s or in a Ph.D. program, OR you have completed Bachelors, Masters or PHD Degree in last 12 months
- You are committed and available to work full-time (40 hours per week) for the contracted period in the GGGI office or any other mutually agreed upon location within Kampala
- You have excellent command of English.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the SWM team on the implementation of the SWM element of the Project especially the development of a draft strategy for SWN.
- An assessment of the relevant SWM policies, strategic plans and other relevant Government documents will be executed. Policy gaps to be identified.
- Preparation of the SWM strategic plan by identification and evaluation of various SWM options and mapping out a structured plan towards developing the strategy.
- Stakeholder and institutional Analysis within the relevant SWM and its related sectors as agreed upon at the start of the assignment. This includes private sector players, political bodies, NGOs, INGOs, Civil society, key financiers and Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs).
- Contribute to the implementation of the other project elements where applicable.
- Support program monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Contribute to coordination and preparation for stakeholder engagement meetings, capture minutes for different meetings and documentation.
- Support day-to-day follow up of one or more firms and international experts/consultants under supervision of the Project Manager (Contract management).
- Review of project reports including technical and consultant reports.
- Capture lessons learned to support refinement/improvement of the execution modality.
- Support SWM team in ensuring key aspects of safeguards, poverty reduction and social inclusion are mainstreamed and/or applied in all deliveries and outputs.
- Collect relevant data and documents from different agencies and compile for project team.
- Data/information collection and analysis of Waste Collection and Recycling, Waste Treatment and Disposal, Financial Sustainability and economic models related to SWM.
- Support communication related activities (eg. Drafting media advisory, press release, ToRs, etc and coordinating comms activities)
- Provide other support where requested.
Applicants to the GGGI internship program must at the time of application meet the following requirements:
- Be of a Ugandan national.
- Be enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program prior to internship assignment, or a recent graduate within the last 12 months.
- Be engaged or recently engaged in academic study in a field directly related to the
- Institute’s work
- Possess an excellent command of English.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- As mentioned above the candidate either completed a Bachelor, Masters or PhD program in the past 12 months, or is currently enrolled in a Master’s or in a Ph.D. Such a degree should be in, Waste Management, Environmental Engineering, Environmental management and studies, Environmental health, or any other related field.
- Proven strong academic track record.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues in sustainable development and green growth.
- Experience in doing data gathering and research is a serious advantage.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individuals with good organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office and active usage of various social media is an advantage.
- Proven analytical and report writing skills are advantageous.
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to do research
- Maturity, initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Creativity, Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Duration: The internship program is for at least three months and up to six months. Once selected, interns must begin your internship either prior to or within 12 months of graduation. Confidentiality: Interns must keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and may not publish any documents based on such information.
- Academic Credit: Interns may get academic credit from their institution of higher education f or the internship. Interns need to check with their university to confirm their academic credit policy for internships.
- Working Hours: interns are expected to work during normal working hours. Leave should be pre-approved by the Intern Manager, and the latter should inform the Office of HR according ly.
- Learning Outcomes: before completion of the internship, Intern Managers are expected to re view the learning outcomes with the intern.
- Certificate: provided upon successful completion of the internship, upon request.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants Send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 1st July 2022