Job Title: Story Curator
Organisation: Pangea Publishing
Duty Station: Katale, Sseguku, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Publishing
Pangea Educational Development (PANGEA) is a small non-profit organization that believes in the liberating power and opportunities provided by a quality education. Our model was developed to empower communities to improve their own educational circumstances: the school environment, livelihoods of teachers, and access for under-resourced students and to do so in a way that is sustainable. We are a community of changemakers, mixed with staff, volunteers, and community champions. Each member of our community is working towards realizing our mission by dedicating their time and skills through a wholehearted commitment to it. As a result, we are equally dedicated to those who work with us.
Job Summary: PANGEA is looking to hire a Story Curator who will work with our publishing arm Pangea Publishing to produce children’s books. Pangea Publishing promotes literacy and cultural preservation in Uganda and shares it beyond our borders. The Story Curator will work with other Story Curators and editors to develop original texts for children’s stories and develop stories as required by the different projects Pangea Publishing will be contracted to produce. The position is based in Kampala but may require infrequent travel to different areas in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Director of Publishing, manage the drafting, editing, and finalising of all Pangea children’s stories within the Content Production Plan.
- Write and edit stories to support the Pangea Publishing fee for hire partnerships as directed.
- Coordinate with pre-approved illustrators to obtain a finished product
- Ensure books/activities are aligned with curriculum standards in working markets
- Manage records and reports for the different stages of the production of each story in the production pipeline.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in the following fields: Literature, Education or related area (Required)
- Leadership experience in a management role (Preferred)
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English (Required)
- Computer fluency and understanding of Microsoft and Google Suite (Required)
We are a community of changemakers who believe all people have the ability to learn and grow to their full potential. We are working to build a culture of learning that equips every person to be a change agent in their own story and community.
Through education, we are making a deliberate, sustainable, and substantial impact on the structural inequalities in our world, while treating each person as more than a number. We believe in authentic interactions grounded in mutual respect and a commitment to helping everyone fully realize their potential and inspire action beyond our efforts.
We are seeking an individual whose dedication to the value of education matches our own. We are seeking an individual who has a heart for empowering Ugandans to recognise the richness and importance of their cultural heritage and desire to share it with others. We are seeking an individual who is willing to work odd and sometimes long, exhaustive hours to do what is right and not just what is easy or will suffice. We are seeking an individual who can laugh as hard as they can work, someone who is not just looking for a job, but an avenue to pursue their passion.
Finally, we are seeking someone to join a new kind of organization – a social enterprise. Our revenue is earned, and our profits are spent within Uganda’s borders. We are seeking a leader who seeks to truly blend principles of entrepreneurship and drive deep, measurable social impact.
Things We’ll Bring To The Table:
- Generous leave
- Competitive Salary
- Full benefits
- A supportive environment for your personal and professional growth
How to Apply:
All candidates should submit:
- Full CV
- A 1-Page Cover Letter describing your relevant experience to this position, why our mission matters to you, and how you will use your privilege to achieve it. Please type the words “I am detail-oriented” in the footer.
Deadline: 4th August 2022