Dr. Anita Borg devoted her adult life to revolutionising the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. Her combination of technical expertise and fearless vision continues to inspire and motivate countless women to become active participants and leaders in creating technology.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, we are pleased to announce The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship: Hong Kong. Through the scholarship, we aim to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders.
Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic background and demonstrated leadership. A group of female undergraduate and graduate student finalists will be chosen from the applicant pool. Each scholarship recipient will receive a HKD 25,000 scholarship. In addition all scholarship recipients will be invited to visit Google’s Beijing office for a networking retreat. It will include workshops with a series of speakers, panels, breakout sessions and social activities, and will provide an opportunity for all scholarship recipients from Greater China region to meet and share their experiences.
Who can apply?
Applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Be a female student enrolled in full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at an university in Hong Kong. Citizens, permanent residents, and international students are eligible to apply.
- Be studying Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a closely related technical field.
- Maintain an excellent academic record.
How to apply
Applications for the 2014 Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship will be open in Spring 2014.
For specific questions not answered on this page or in the FAQ section, please e-mail [email protected]. The subject field of your email must include “Anita Borg Question”. Get more Details about the scholarship
About the scholars’ retreat
Scholarship recipients are invited to an expenses paid retreat in summer. In addition to free time for sightseeing and socializing, the formal part of the retreat typically includes:
- welcome meal and tour of Google,
- informal ice breaker activities and introductions,
- introduction to the Anita Borg Institute and the scholarship program,
- personal insights, technical talks, and workshops.
We look forward to receiving your application!