The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSCE will be achieved through the redeployment of resources from the regional missions it serves.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direction and supervision of the Motor Transport Officer, the Transport Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Responsible for Fleet Vehicle Inventory Unit duties:
- Carry out distribution of non-expendable transport assets.
- Conducts bi-annual physical inventory of non-expendable transport assets in accordance with the established procedures and deadlines.
- Performs regular vehicle inspections.
- Updates and maintains records for non-expendable transport assets, including records in fleet management databases.
- Assists in preparing Business Object Reports.
- Supports in coordinating the Mission Vehicle Establishment Committee (VEC) meetings.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the Vehicle Replacement Policy.
- Processes the vehicle write-off cases in accordance with the established procedures and deadlines.
- Provides inputs for statistical report on transport fleet utilization and composition.
- Transport Driver Testing / Damage Discrepancy
- Reporting duties
- Maintains databases to monitor the mission personnel in possession of UN driving permits.
- Conducts driving test assessments for the field mission staff members.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the aforementioned United Nations job must have a High school certificate or equivalent is required. Technical or vocational certificate in mechanical engineering, transportation, logistics or other related fields is desirable.
- At least four years of progressively responsible experience in motor vehicle transport operations or related area.
- Possess a valid driving license with classes B, C, D, and E is required.
Language Proficiency: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in oral and written French is an added advantage.
Professionalism: Ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise: is willing to learn from others: places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and ads in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organisational: Develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required- allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should submit their applications which should include the following documents:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), download here
- Copies of educational certificate(s) and a copy of National Driving License Class B, C, D, and E.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number and the Job Title and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send to: RSCE, Entebbe Support Base, Buku Road, P.O Box 710. Entebbe. Uganda.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number and the Job Title.
Application received after the established deadline will not be considered.
NB: All applicants MUST indicate the Job Opening # for which they are applying, on the subject line in the email or on the sealed envelope, e.g. RSCE-2014-TPT-GS-002, GL-4.
Deadline: 10th October, 2014
Also see other jobs available