“Fast and Furious” star Vin Diesel confirmed at Universal’s CinemaCon panel, an annual event for theatre owners that the next installment to the franchise is happening. The currently untitled eighth chapter will be released April 14, 2017.
The seventh entry in the franchise has already broken box office records worldwide, nabbing more than $1.1 billion globally so far. Furious 7 is not only currently breaking global box office records for the Fast and the Furious series, but for movies in general.
The film gave an emotional and touching tribute to the late Paul Walker, who tragically died at age 40 in November 2013 while the movie was still in production.
Choking back tears, Diesel told the crowd of theatre owners, “It means a lot to me to get your blessing.” He took the audience back to two years ago when, on the same stage at Caesars Palace, Diesel and Paul Walker, the actor who died in a 2013 car crash, said they planned to move forward on a seventh film in the action franchise.
At various points after Walker’s shocking death, it seemed that Universal might have to cancel the production. Shooting was not yet complete when the crash happened, but special effects technicians and stunt doubles enabled the completion of the project, however the franchise shows it’s to continue with new actors joining the Fast and Furious family.
There’s no director yet announced for the film, but rumours are that it will take place largely in New York and bring back all of the primary cast, as well as newcomer Kurt Russell, who had a small but important part in the seventh film.
While announcing Furious 8 release, the actor said, “We’re going to make the best movie you’ve ever seen.”
Fast and Furious in stores at different cinemas in Uganda, it’s a movie you cannot miss.