The Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) is mandated UCDA to: “Oversee the coffee industry by supporting research, promoting production, controlling the quality and improving the marketing of coffee in order to optimise foreign exchange earnings for the country and payments to farmers.”
About aBi Project:
UCDA is implementing the Robusta Coffee Centre of Excellence (CORE) Project with support from aBi Trust. The CORE Project is aimed at developing a sustainable coffee value chain through development of technologies, innovations and promotion of best practices along the coffee value chain, exploring best practices in coffee, conducting specific research to provide accurate information, and carrying out demonstration activities with the view of improving household incomes, and creating a coffee culture.
Key job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively mobilise farmers in the different Micro centre districts and register them in the effort of improving coffee quality and increasing coffee premiums.
- Carry out trainings, farm demonstrations and sensitization on good agronomic practices and good coffee handling practices at the micro centre.
- Assist in collecting coffee and soil samples at the farms, and organize on-farm trails and other demonstrations at the micro centre.
- Collect farm data and keep records at the Micro centres including but not limited to farmers’ agricultural practices, post-harvest handling practices, and marketing.
- Identify crop pests and diseases and advise farmers on control measures.
- Compile and send reports on implementation of activities at the micro centre.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience needed for the job:
- The candidates should at least have a Certificate in Crop Production and Management or a certificate in a related discipline from a recognised institution.
- The applicants must possess a valid motor cycle riding permit.
- All applicants must have a good knowledge of the local language and geography of the microcenter and districts being applied for.
- Excellent communication and training skills, and knowledge of computers.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should submit their applications, curriculum vitae, certified copies of academic transcripts, and telephone contacts and e-mail addresses of three referees to;- The Principal Human Resource Officer, UCDA, Coffee House, Plot 35 Jinja Road, P.O. Box 7267, Kampala (U).
E-mail /electronic applications can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 14th October 2014 by 5:00 p.m