Job Title: Finance and Logistics Officer
Organisation: Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA)
Funding Source: UNHCR
Duty Station: Uganda
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international African humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
About UNHCR Project:
HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-Sectoral Program for refugees Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro District) and transit centers in Kisoro and Bundibugyo districts.
Job Summary: The UNHCR Project Finance and Logistics Officer will be providing financial and logistical related support to HIJRA Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner/ Grant Support:
- Maintain the accounts of the partners (Sub-grants) by keeping an updated file on the disbursements and the expenditures incurred and qualified by HIJRA at any given time and reviewing and filing the qualified expenditures from the partners.
- Ensure that all the money received is accurately recorded in the source document in readiness to posting on a daily basis.
- Maintain electronic and hard copy filing system and retrieve documents from filing system when required
- Financial Management (Bank and Cash):
- Enter payments into the online banking and remit them to the Payee upon authorization
- Receive documents from the field and confirm accuracy with the attached document checklist
- Accurately and timely prepare the payment vouchers and attach the necessary documents before submitting them to the supervisor for review based on the lead time as agreed.
- Update the cash book in the MS Excel and compare the balances on a weekly basis and ensure that there is a completed month end report submission with the accurate balances obtained in the system.
- Carry out weekly comprehensive checks to ensure that the accountability documents from the various departments are received within seven days and the supporting documents are in line with the set policies and procedures ensuring these are attached to relevant off and online systems before submission for approval.
- In charge of the preparation and submission of Bank reconciliation every 5th of the month for review of the Head of Finance and Administration as part of the month end submissions.
- Ensure the payroll statutory payments have been made to the relevant authorities within the stipulated time.
- Cash Flow Management:
- Responsible for petty cash Management and reporting on balances on monthly basis. Ensure Monthly cash count and sign off is maintained.
- Ensure top up is done according the work plan and scheduled as such with replenishment done timely.
- Source for quotations and submit complete documentation to the procurement committee
- Generate the Local Purchase Order using the financial system and deliver the same to the supplier upon authorization
- Maintain accounts payable and accounts receivable records and submit reconciled creditors/debtors reports at the end of the month 5th of the following month.
- Confirm the accuracy of the receipt and movement of the procured items.
- Keep updated supplier file that shows the current pre-qualified suppliers, their profile, contracts and other related information
- Administration/ Logistics (Assets):
- Actively coordinate maintenance of office equipment and security details within the office. In liaison with the Head of Finance and Administration and ensure maintenance of a schedule for approval for regular and routine maintenance, with timely requests made as per schedule.
- Management of the inventory and asset register and submission of the related reports at the end of each month.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The UNHCR Project Finance and Logistics Officer should hold a Bachelor of Commerce (BCOM) degree with a major in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant Part 2 (CPA 2) or its equivalent
- A minimum of three or more years’ experience in Finance , Procurement and Logistics in a busy INGO
- Wide experience in the use of computer applications; clear understanding on the usage of Navigation (ERP) Soft wares, and other financial software systems
- Demonstrated experience managing donor funds and ensuring compliance with donor requirements;
- Good knowledge and understanding of risks and related relevant controls primarily in the overall grant cycle including program, financial and procurement cycles
- Supervisory skills.
- Excellent communication skills
- Possess the ability to analyses, interpret and present monthly report and maintain accurate records/ chronological filling for retrieval/ reference.
- Ability to work as part of the team
- Flexible and reliable with a sense of priority and self-awareness
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds; high degree of sensitivity toward others
- Personal commitment and drive for results, and adaptability in the workplace; ability to work long hours under difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness;
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, in English
- Possess the ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines
- Treat information with the confidentiality it deserves
- Knowledge of UNHCR reporting is desired
- Mature Individual with leadership qualities
How to Apply for the job:
All qualified Ugandan nationals are encouraged to send an application plus updated CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly indicate the position tile in the subject line of the E-mail.
NB: Due to the urgent need to fill this position, shortlisting will be done as we receive applications. The earlier you apply the better!
Deadline: 15th January 2015