Job Title: Accelerated Education Reading Assessment Supervisor (4 Job Placements)
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
Job Summary: The Accelerated Education Reading Assessment Supervisor will be responsible for a team of assessors assigned per district, will pack materials for fieldwork, guide the assessors to adhere to set data collection procedures, collect data and upload data to the cloud. The supervisors will be expected to fill a school/center summary sheet for each of the schools/centers visited and submit all assigned equipment in good working conditions at the end of data collection. The selected candidates will undergo a training to equip them with the necessary knowledge regarding the tools, protocols and ethical considerations for the exercise.
The successful candidates will be contracted for a maximum period of 10 working days (September 2022). All honoraria and expenses will be paid by USAID/ICYD. The four (4) AE Supervisors that will be recruited will report to, and will be supervised by, the ICYD M&E team.
** Please note that this is a local temporary position. Eligibility is limited to Ugandan nationals**
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of assessors during the assessment – including distributing tasks before and during each AE center visit, ensuring punctuality, friendly and professional treatment of learners, and correct application of instructions for each subtest
- Introduce study team and explain the purpose of the visit to the school administration and AE facilitator.
- Ensure that the assessment is carried out as per the protocol
- The sample of learner to be assessed at each AE center is drawn following proper randomized procedure agreed upon during training,
- Ensure (a) the identity of each learner sampled and (b) the efficiency of the learner assessment process, with all assessors occupied with a learner at all times throughout the process.
- To the extent possible, you should collect the learners from the class and bring them to the assessors,
- Ensure that every learner instrument administered is collected, in order and complete.
- Correctly complete the AE center field work visit summary
- Ensure that all of the assessments are uploaded onto the server
- Provide a daily report/debrief to the ICYD M&E team to resolve problems that arise and communicate work progress
- Deliver other materials assigned to your team that were used in the data collection exercise. These include: Tablets, chargers, fieldwork bags, etc.
- Assist with the trouble-shooting of the Tangerine application and ensure that assessors strictly adhere to the protocol. Ensure that the results of assessment are displayed on the results menu and serialized by order of assessment
- Behave professionally when working and dress in a professional and culturally appropriate manner
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Arts, Economics, Statistics or Education
- Previous experience as a data collector/assessor in an Early Grade Reading Assessment or Youth Literacy Assessment preferred
- Experience conducting assessments with children
- Previous experience using electronic data collection software
- Previous experience leading data collection teams
- Fluency in English and at least one of the three local languages – Luganda, Runyankore/Rukiga, and Runyoro/Rutooro required. Please indicate language fluency in your application
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 19th August 2022