Job Title: Accountant
Organisation: Aga Khan University (AKU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 13 teaching sites in 8 countries. It is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin. AKU has offers academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for and in countries in East Africa.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Coordinator Finance, the Accountant will be responsible for all day-to-day student financial management and accounting for receivable pertaining to AKU Uganda and providing the necessary financial data and reports for effective collection of students and decision making by the respective entity heads.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure accurate reporting of financial data within AKU student management system.
- Working closely with the registrar and student experience office to communicate timelines and content of financial assistance
- Responsible for organising financial committee meetings to evaluate financial applications by students.
- Debt collection: Holding monthly meetings with students/suppliers who are not in good financial standing with the institution to follow up on collection.
- Managing the examination card issuance and semester registration to enhance debt collection.
- Preparation of all receivable schedules, aging statements, and monthly students receivable accounts
- Working closely with leadership in calculation of credit loss estimates as per IFRS 9 to ensure timely submission
- Other accounting related work that may be assigned and required from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting and Finance
- Professional training ACCA/CPA finalist or equivalent is an added advantage
- At least three years of professional experience
- Excellent computer accounting skills
- Excellent understanding and application of International Accounting standards (IAS) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Technical skills in accounting applications and MS Office
- High self-drive
- Solution oriented
- Team player
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates are invited to email their application, curriculum vitae, names of three referees and copies of certificates & testimonials to email@example.com
Please quote the position title on the email subject. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 20th January 2023.