Job Title: Assistant Accountant
Organization: Plan International
Project Name: BMZ Maternal and Early Childhood Survival Project
Duty Station: Lira, Uganda
Reports to: Program Area Finance Manager
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people’s rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Job Summary: The Assistant Accountant will support the BMZ Maternal and Early Childhood Survival Project by providing timely and reliable information to maintain accurate records of financial transactions through establishing accounts and posting transactions in the accounting system for the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support to Project Team:
- Steer and oversee annual project budget preparations.
- Serve as a key liaison for financial management and system development in consultation with the supervisor.
- Actively coordinate financial support to the partners in preparing financial reports.
- Participate in the preparation, management and control of the budget
- Support the Project Manager to manage the project budget in line with set policies and guidelines.
- Accounting Processes, Coordination and Service Delivery:
- Ensure adequate budget review before signing voucher payments.
- Ensure proper cash disbursement vouchers, cash receipts and pay roll are accurately and timely completed for authorization before posting is made.
- Manage any project audits and implement recommendations thereafter.
- Reconcile GL reports and monitor advances register and partner advances.
- Treasury and Banking:
- Ensure cheque books are properly handled.
- Establish control cash registers where need be.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare payment transfers.
- Ensure a well-coordinated process for Monthly cash forecast.
- Record Keeping:
- In charge of proper financial record keeping, documentation and management of the asset register.
- Responsible for the proper management of project inventory/stationary stocks and reconciliations
- Ensure proper management and maintenance of project assets including those used by the partner.
- Grants and Budget Compliance:
- Consolidate and submit quarterly financial reports in accordance with donor requirements.
- Actively participate in annual work planning process with a focus on budget preparation.
- Prepare project financial reports as per guidelines and provide recommendations to the Project Manager for planning purposes.
- Enforce financial controls, processes and procedures.
- Perform any other tasks in accordance to the project expectations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Plan International Assistant Accountant should hold a Bachelors (hons) degree in commerce or business administration with a bias in Accounting.
- Hold part professional qualification in accountancy e.g CPA or ACCA
- At least two years working experience as an assistant accountant in a busy organization preferably in an NGO
- Working knowledge of fleet, assets, stores and office management with large organizations preferably in an NGO
- Computer literacy i.e. proficient in the use of Microsoft Office application and accounting software packages such as SUN, Tally, Sage.
- Past experience working with an Germany funded NGO will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of SAP will be an added advantage
- Team building and strategic planning skills
- Strong problem solving ability and comfortable with multi-tasking.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written), and analytical skills.
- Keen interest in addressing children, family and community development issues
- High level of integrity and accuracy
- Committed to meeting deadline
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
The Country Human Resources Manager,
NB: As a child centered development organization, Plan strives to ensure that children are kept safe in all the areas we operate. The organization further has a Child Protection Policy that every staff is required to sign. Potential candidates will be required to provide information confirming whether or not they have ever been convicted of any child abuse crimes.
Deadline: 12th March, 2015
Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 30th May, 2015