Job Title: Chief Safety Adviser
Umeme is a public company cross listed on both the Uganda Securities Exchange and the Nairobi Securities Exchange with over 6,483 shareholders, including high value international institutional investors. Umeme operates under a concession with a structural monopoly in the distribution of electricity across Uganda, distributing 99% of electricity in Uganda through a single buyer model.
Job Summary: The Chief Safety Adviser will offer advice and guidance to the Senior Management Team (SMT) on the development of safety strategies, provide performance measurement analysis and manage external stakeholders as regards safety and the environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guides on the development of safety and environmental management systems that comply with international best practice.
- Reports to the MD and coordinates safety and environmental management with the SMT
- Steers the safety function and has the Senior Safety Manager as a direct report.
- Oversees the safety and environmental reporting to external stakeholders.
- Coordinates the Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) subcommittee meeting, ensuring accurate and timely reporting.
- Ensures accurate accident investigation reports are compiled and reviewed before submission to the SMT accident review meeting.
- Provides analysis on safety data to the SMT in order to develop AOPs
- Mentors the safety and environmental specialists.
- Engages with the current Chief Safety Officer to ensure succession planning is achieved.
- Actively coordinates working groups on key safety initiatives.
- Exemplifies the safety culture of the organisation through proactive activities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should have five or more years in a senior safety position within an engineering related environment with experience in running a safety department/function.
- They should be a holder of an internationally recognised safety qualification, an excellent oral communicator with ability to think strategically and prioritise with exceptional report writing skills.
How to Apply for the job:
If you believe you are the right candidate, please submit your application and updated CV clearly detailing your suitability for the position in terms of required qualifications and experience to email@example.com. Kindly state the position you are applying for in the subject line of your mail.
Deadline: 6th October, 2014 by 17:00 Hours