Job Title: Principal Legal Officer
Centenary Bank is the leading Commercial Micro Finance Bank in Uganda serving over 1,300,000 clients (a quarter of the banking population) in 58 branches spread countrywide. We are one of Uganda’s top three financial organisations, employing more than 1,500 people. Joining Centenary Bank is an opportunity to use your skills and experience in tackling real world problems.
Job Summary: The Principal Legal Officer will be carrying out research, provide legal advice, draft and review legal documents and represent the Centenary Bank in courts of law in accordance with the law, bank policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the Bank in Courts of law, monitor the progress of court cases and provide regular feedback on the performance of external legal counsel with regard to cases in his/her portfolio.
- Institute legal action to safeguard the Bank’s interests, and respond to customer complaints in form of notices of intention to sue in a timely manner.
- Review and/or draft documentation for credit facilities offered by the Bank to its customers in line with the relevant laws, regulations, Bank policies and procedures.
- Advise on all legal and appropriate action for efficient and effective recovery of non-performing credit facilities.
- Draft and draw service level agreements and contracts for the Bank’s procurement and disposal of goods, services and works in line with its policies and procedures.
- Carry out legal research and provide legal advice on issues related to the Bank’s business, compliance with existing and upcoming legislation, and on the implications of such legislation for the operations of the Bank.
- Offering prompt legal advice to the branches and various head office functions as and when required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Principal Legal Officer should ideally possess an Honors Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized university; postgraduate diploma in legal practice.
- At least four years’ post enrolment relevant experience preferably in a financial institution, an established law firm or reputable commercial organization.
- Excellent drafting, writing and communication skills;
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to provide sound, efficient, effective legal advice and to execute various tasks at the same time.
- Be a good team player
- Possess the ability to embrace the Bank’s mission and values.
How to apply for the job:
All candidates who desire to join Centenary Bank should send their applications by following the instructions below; downloading an application form for employment, download Here, filling it and enclosing an application letter, Curriculum Vitae (CV), and copies of academic testimonials/certificates and send the application to:
General Manager, Human Resources Centenary Bank, P.O. Box 1892 — Kampala, Uganda.
Note: While we thank all applicants for your interest. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applicants not contacted after 5th May 2014 should consider their applications unsuccessful.
Deadline: 14th March 2014 by 5:00 pm