Job Title: Communications Volunteer
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.
Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Job Summary: The Communications Volunteer will support the communications efforts of Habitat for Humanity Uganda (including marketing, advertising and public relations) as well as various projects and events for related initiatives. The assignment components are somewhat flexible and Habitat for Humanity Uganda will work with the individual selected to design the objectives and outcomes for the period of service.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write public service announcements, press releases, e-newsletters, communication plans and letters.
- Design flyers, graphics, E-vites and other marketing material for major events hosted by Habitat for Humanity Uganda.
- Prepare content for Habitat for Humanity Uganda websites.
- Communicate the mission of Habitat for Humanity Uganda, and work to community organizations, the general public and donors.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications.
- Initiate or follow-up on outreach attempts with media professionals.
- Produce stories, photographs and information for use in Habitat for Humanity International publications.
- Assist with photo and video opportunities.
- Work with programs to develop story concepts for the media.
- Maintain files and prepare written recommendations for future projects.
- Undertake other projects within the realm of communications.
- Write compelling grant proposals seeking funding for Habitat for Humanity Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Communications Volunteer opportunity must have completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field such as marketing, mass communications or public relations.
- The applicant should have a comprehensive understanding and grasp of standard tools and platforms in the communications field.
- Previous experience in marketing or communications.
- Grant writing experience is a plus.
- Highly computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Effective communication skills i.e. both written and oral.
- Possess the ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts.
- Highly self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Habitat for Humanity and the families we serve.
Volunteer Renumeration: Monthly estimate for a single individual is given below. (All figures are in USD.)
For a furnished apartment: Housing + utilities: $800
Transportation to and from office (public taxi): $80
Other (recreation and personal expenses):$200
Must bring own laptop.
Estimated Monthly Total: $1,580
How to Apply for the job:
All interested applicants must submit their updated resumes and motivation letter as ONE DOCUMENT into our Online applicant tracking system.