Job Title: Business Support Assistant (Crisis Response) (UN Intern Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The Intern will provide support to the Crisis Resposnse Unit programme activities that effectively meet food and cash assistance needs including through in-kind food assistance, cash-based transfer programming, sustainable food systems and market access in target refugee settlements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Crisis Response Unit in the implementation of WFP Uganda Country Office’
- Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) workstream, strengthening both WFP and Government capacity, and regularly disseminating relevant EPR information.
- Contribute to preparing briefs, presentations and reports on the CO Emergency
- Preparedness and Response, supporting the EPR taskforce coordination as well as working closely with the field offices.Provide administrative support to the Inter-agency Food Security Sector coordination ensuring timely information management.
- Conduct desk research, reviews and analyses of key documents relating to phase III refugee assistance prioritization and Emergency Preparedness activities.
- Support information management activities (build/update a repository of key documents, liaise with other teams to compile lessons learned and recommendations to improve programme implementation.
- Develop a tracking tool to monitor CRU oversight/audit recommendations implementation, etc.
- Support resource management ensuring efficient monitoring to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximize operational effectiveness.
- Support administrative processes to ensure the effective implementation of Field Level Agreements (FLAs) in consultation with AOs and current and prospective partners.
- Support and participate in CP budget review meetings at the Country Office level and in consultation with the Field/Area Offices.
- Support the consultant in the Review of the Multiyear Strategic Partnership Approach.
- Review program activity data by implementing partner/site/district/sub-office and region, compile and analyse information and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, to support the accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Cash Based Transfer (CBT) team, support the coordination of Financial literacy trainings in target refugee settlements.
- Support CBT expansion activities in target refugee settlements including multi-sectoral assessments.
- Participate in Cash Working Group (CWG) meetings both internal and external.
- Support in CBT digitisation including piloting of new digital cash delivery mechanisms in target refugee settlement.
- Support Digital Financial Inclusion (DFI) and Women Economic Empowerment (WEE) activities in targeted refugee settlements.
- Perform any other tasks as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Completion of a first University degree in one of the following disciplines: Food Science, Nutrition, Economics, Statistics or Management Information Systems from a recognized university. within 6 months period at the time of taking up the internship, if selected.
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance: Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problemsand programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers): Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
- Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas: Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, as well as strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Basic Information technolology/computer skillsProficient reporting writing skills.
- knowledge and experience in MS Office, Stata, SPSS
- Knowledge in SQL, R, Python is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English, including strong writing skills
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: Friday 17th February 2023