The Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa (CTCA), hosted by the School of Public Health (MakSPH), College of Health Sciences (CHS), Makerere University and serves as the regional center of excellence to support African governments implement tobacco control policies and programs, with a vision of a sustainable, leading center in empowering and facilitating tobacco control policy and programme implementation to achieve tobacco-free Africa.
The Center will be supporting one-year tobacco control research grants for Masters Students for the next three years with funding from Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC).
The Project will be implemented through the 6 schools of public health in the Public Health Alliance1 including:
1. Moi University in Kenya
2. Jimma University in Ethiopia
3. Muhimbili University in Tanzania
4. National University of Rwanda in Rwanda
5. Makerere University in Uganda
6. University of Nairobi in Kenya
The research grant is meant to support students enrolled for Masters on programs such as economics, agro-economics or environment and Taxation who have interest in pursuing research in tobacco control.
The purpose of the research grant is to provide evidence for tobacco control policy and legislation for governments in Africa and the objectives include:
1. To build capacity for research in tobacco control in Africa
2. To Contribute to the tobacco control Research agenda in Africa
3. To develop tools and document best practices for policy and legislation
The following categories of students are eligible to apply:
1. Students should be enrolled on any of the listed Master’s programs in the 6 Universities
2. Student starting their second year are eligible for the grant 2015/2016
3. Proposals that follow the research proposal requirements will be awarded
4. Only proposals focusing on the articles listed in section two will be reviewed for award.
Please see Downloads for details on Eligibility Criteria, Application Form, as well as other useful information
Submission and Notification Dates for the Research Proposals
The call for this year 2015/2016 will open from 1st October 2015 and close on the 28th of February 2016. Research proposals shall be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only Successful applicants will be notified and any applicant that will not be notified after one month of the stipulated deadline should consider his or her application unsuccessful.
Awards and funding
The research projects will involve: data review, data collection, data entry, cleaning, analysis and report writing. The scholarship grant shall in addition support costs of local travel, equipment (related to data collection such as recorders), stationery and dissemination of results.
The total grant award for each student will not exceed $7000 and will be awarded discretionary. Research grants will be subject to the avail-ability of funding.
Further inquiries should be send to email@example.com and; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
You can download the documents below for more information about the research grants for masters students.