Job Title: Coffee Extension Officer
Organisation: Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA)
Duty Station: UCDA FIELD OFFICES, Uganda
Reports To: Regional Manager
Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) was established as a public Authority and its mandate is to regulate, promote and oversee the quality of coffee along the entire value chain, support research and development, promote production, and improve the marketing of coffee in order to optimize foreign exchange earnings for the country and payments to the farmers.
Job Summary: To coordinate the assigned districts’ coffee activities for increasing coffee production, productivity and value.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and supervise coffee nursery development programs, coffee renovation and rehabilitation program, coffee planting, inputs distribution (plantlets/seedlings, crop protection tools/equipment, agrochemicals etc.); and oversee compliance with sourcing and distribution procedures, in line with established standard operating procedures/guidelines.
- Implement coffee extension programs, in line with the departmental guidelines.
- Promote new technologies which have been developed by coffee research and disseminate the same to coffee farmers and other value chain actors.
- Conduct regular pests and disease surveillance activities and implement integrated pests and disease management/control practices,
- Liaise with and ensure effective collaboration with local authorities and other bodies with an interest in matters of coffee development in the respective districts.
- Participate in development of work plans and budgets for the Region.
- Provide technical support in the collection of coffee production and marketing data, and administering of questionnaires and surveys on coffee matters in the respective area of operation.
- Monitor the quality of Coffee along the value chain, from the farm to cup
- Undertake regular field monitoring and inspections to guide coffee farmers and enforce compliance to quality coffee standards as provided in the National Coffee Act, 2021 and any other UCDA programme guidelines.
- Register coffee value chain actors (coffee farmers and their farms, seed gardens/mother gardens, nursery operators, farmer groups, associations and cooperatives), update and maintain a database of the value chain actors as spelt out in the National Coffee Act, 2021.
- Compile and submit periodic reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly etc) highlighting progress in the implementation of coffee programme activities in the sub region.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor of Science (First Class or Upper Second class) in Agriculture, or Agribusiness Management or Agriculture Extension or related field from a recognized university.
- At least three years’ working experience in Extension-related discipline in local government, private sector or NGO.
- Valid driving and riding permits.
- Flexibility to work upcountry.
- Good communication skills.
- Team Work Skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates should submit their applications, accompanied by a detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mail, telephone) online at the link below.
Deadline: 6th June 2023