Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: Uganda Women’s Effort to Save Orphans (UWESO)
Funding Source: United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
Uganda Women’s Effort to Save Orphans (UWESO) is an indigenous Non-Governmental Organization registered with the Uganda NGO Board and is committed to improving the quality of life of orphans and other vulnerable children.
About USAID Project:
The USAID Orphans and Vulnerable Children North East Region (OVC North East) Activity is a five-year Activity to prevent new HIV infections and reduce vulnerability among orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in selected districts of Uganda. The strategic objective supports Government of Uganda’s (GOU) multisector strategies and priorities for HIV mitigation and prevention, with an emphasis on minimizing negative impacts of HIV on OVC and AGYW, addressing social, behavioral and structural drivers of HIV, and improving access to comprehensive sexual reproductive health (SRH) services to prevent new infections. Subject to availability of funds, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) intends to provide approximately $9,901,234 in total life of activity funding to implement this activity.
Job Summary: The Communications officer will be responsible for creating and implementing a communications strategy for UWESO and the USAID OVC North East Activity. The Officer will provide technical support and advice on visibility and communication. The Officer will work with the program team and will report to the Chief of Party. He/She will develop and implement effective communication’s activities for external customers and stakeholders. Write and optimize content for the website, digital newsletters, print publications and social networking sites. Ensure consistency in terms of voice, branding, messaging and frequency of posting via digital channels.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on UWESO and USAID OVC North East Activity target audience.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand, and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software.
- Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to management.
- Develop effective relationships with programme partners and other stakeholders, including government actors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- At least two to five years of relevant experience in a communications role.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Highly motivated, flexible and committed to teamwork and desire to work with diverse categories of people.
How to Apply:
All Qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 28th October 2022