Job Title: Deputy Project Coordinator
Organisation: Ministry of Education and Sports
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda (with frequent field travels)
Reports to: The Project Coordinator USEEP.
The Ministry of Education and Sports is a cabinet-level ministry of Uganda. It is mandated “to provide technical support, guide, coordinate, regulate and promote quality education, training and sports to all persons in Uganda for national integration, development and individual advancement”, according to the website of the ministry.
The Government of Uganda has received financing of US$ 150 million from the World Bank towards support to the 3-year Uganda Secondary Education Expansion Project (USEEP) under the Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES). The project became effective on 19th May 2022 and is expected to close by 31st December, 2025. A Project Coordination Unit (PCU) under the MoES will provide support to line departments and stakeholders in implementation of the project.
Job Summary: The Deputy Project Coordinator shall assist the Coordinator in the day to day management of Project activities including but not limited to, planning and directing the project technical team to ensure timely implementation of the activities including;
- Management: Provide advice concerning project consultants, project components and activities and support deliver project deliverables on timely manner. Provide support/advice to the overall coordinator on project implementation and day to day operations (aligned with the project work plan) towards smooth project transition.
- Coordination: Provides inputs to project reports to ensure reviews, inputs, feedbacks, approvals/alignment to with government/world bank managers on project issues, deliverable progress and results for success of the project. Provide technical inputs to efficient capacity building and operational support activities of the project in the transition period.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Provide support to develop and maintain Project plans and targets. Support to identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit of the project can be achieved. Support monitoring and evaluating performance of the project. Support preparing minutes and reports of project activities. Help to ensure that the project produces the required deliverables within the specified time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. Contribute to the overall project targets and needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the Project Coordinator in managing all the professional aspects of project activities which include;
- Follow up and prepare monthly reports on the various tasks and outputs under the project, which include consultancy assignments, preparation of bid documents, procurement, contract awards and payments, in-house and external activities;
- Coordinate the preparation by line departments of project briefs, work plans, budgets, and other working documents as required in the financing agreement;
- Follow up supervision of selected consultants and contractors for contracted project activities to ensure compliance with agreed performance standards and prepare monthly (or more frequently if necessary) reports for PC’s attention;
- Follow up and ensure timely review of the consultants’ reports and appraisal of agreed project deliverables by the assigned contract management team;
- Working closely with PC to ensure the line departments appoint competent teams for the review and quality assurance of goods and services delivered under the project;
- Participating and providing sound technical advice on project management in all technical meetings related to all project components.
- Assisting the Project Coordinator in preparation and seeking of necessary Bank clearances for all project activities that require clearance prior to execution;
- Convening weekly coordination meetings within the coordination unit to review progress of the project activities and prepare weekly briefs on the progress;
- Assist the Project Coordinator to prepare for monthly project review meetings chaired by PS/ES or his/her designee;
- following up the payment of consultants, suppliers, and contractors and confirm from contract managers that the work done or goods and services supplied is commensurate to payment; and that necessary documentation is submitted to relevant authorities for timely payment;
- Assisting the Project Coordinator to follow up evaluation committee meetings and site visits by supervision teams in liaison with line departments and prepare monthly reports on this for inclusion in the monthly progress report to the Bank.
- Assist the Project Coordinator to prepare to ensure proper utilisation of project resources, and that facilitation for field visits and office requirements are processed in time, duly accounted and properly utilised;
- Tracking requests for contract variations, ensuring adequate justification and supporting documentation is provided by the initiating contract manager, follow up to ensure timely processing by from Procurement and Disposal Unit, for necessary and timely action;
- Assist the Project Coordinator to track the achievement of results in line with the project results framework;
- Coordinating the timely implementation of recommendations from line departments, monthly reports, audits, and reports from Government Inspection Agencies, such as Auditor General, PPDA, IGG, etc and recommendations by the World Bank and include findings in the monthly report;
- Follow up the implementation of the environmental and social management framework (ESMF) and Refugee Protections Framework (RPF) based on information received from the environmental and social management teams;
- Receive and compile possible adjustments to the POM received from the implementing teams supported by justification and documentation for approval by the USEEP PSC.
- Assisting the PC in the day-to-day management of all recurrent operating activities that are required to effectively implement the project and supervising, guiding, and appraising staff in the coordination unit, to ensure that all project activities are completed in time;
- Support PC to follow up the Communication Specialist to prepare a Stakeholder engagement plan and updating various internal and external Stakeholders on project progress.
- Together with PC, appraisal of the project staff performance on a six months’ basis and share report with the World Bank; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time.
- USEEP on track implementation strategies to be submitted as agreed with the PC;
- Updated progress of achievement of Project Development Objective indicators in the Results Framework for USEEP as requested by the PC and in line with the project results reporting; Briefs on weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports on all project activities throughout the DPC’s contract;
- Appraisal of project staff done on a six months’ basis;
- Records of minutes of all technical and review meetings held on the project activities through-out the duration of the DPC’s contract;
- Monthly reports on stakeholder engagement, including reports on reports on payments, all procurements conducted under the project and all other project activities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Masters’ Degree in either Project Planning or Management or Business Administration, or Engineering or Economics or any humanity from a recognized Institution/ University.
- A Honours Degree in either Civil Engineering, Architecture, Economics, Business Administration, Social Sciences or humanities field from a recognised University.
- Any other qualification/ training related to Project Management is an added advantage.
- At least ten (10) years working experience in a reputable organization five of which should have been in Project Management/ Leadership responsibilities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the requirements of financial management, procurement management, and monitoring and evaluation during project implementation;
- Experienced in use of computer programs for project management and reporting. Computer knowledge and skills in MS Word and MS Excel and internet/email is a mandatory requirement;
- At least three years’ experience in World Bank/IDA funded projects is an added advantage;
- A positive integrity track record is a compulsory requirement;
- Good oral and written communication skills. Should be fluent in English;
- A high level of interpersonal and management skills and ability to work with teams in the organisation at all levels;
- Must be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Proven positive integrity and confidentiality in handling public resources.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Individuals should submit sealed applications accompanied with certified Copies of their academic documents and detailed Resume giving full details of the applicants’ education, qualifications, experience, three referees with their full address, e-mail and telephone contacts as well as the candidate’s full address, telephone number and e-mail to the address below;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Education and Sports; and delivered to
Ministry Registry, Plot 9/11 King George VI Way,
Embassy House, 4th Floor, Room 1,
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 22nd August 2022 at 5:00pm