Job Title: Digital Learning & Mobile Devices Associate Engineer
Organisation: Imagine Her
Duty Station: Seguku, Wakiso, Uganda
About Imagine Her
Imagine Her is a local non-profit working with communities to accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth as active leaders and social entrepreneurs creating sustainable solutions within their communities.
Our purpose is to accessibly provide young vulnerable women and youth with a robust innovation skills and essential resources to create sustainable social ventures and social impact in Uganda and we envision a world where Ugandan women, girls, and youth are actively harnessing their potential, by initiating and advancing innovative and sustainable solutions to pressing needs in their communities.
We work through community partnerships to target women and youth significantly marginalized and vulnerable due to poverty, the growing education-to-employment gap, geography, and the social constructs of gender. We implement a human-centered impact model that equips these community members with the skills they need to respond to the most critical challenges they face. The guiding principle of our model is that those we work with decide what they want to do, and choose the support and resources that they need to do it.
We achieve this through three-pronged approaches that accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth in Uganda as described below;
- Social Enterprise & Innovation Incubator: We invest in young women and youth as builders of transformative solutions to the most pressing problems of today and tomorrow (Climate Change, Food Security, Health & Education Disparities). We do this through the provision of practical tools and training. Our model is designed as a 3-month accelerated MBA-style training program that empowers women and youth to develop an idea, build a model, and test it using design thinking methodology and principles of adaptive leadership. After this, participants receive mentoring and start-up financial support, to support them to build their own business or social venture.
- Career Pathways: We invest in transforming university education and experience in Uganda by equipping university graduates with skills desirable in the job market and enabling them to solve real-life and business problems through the Design Thinking methodology, tailored experiential learning opportunities (company, organizational and community-based) and skills training in adaptive leadership, and design-driven entrepreneurship along with field expert mentorship geared towards preparing them to enter the labor market or start their own ventures.
- Becoming: Becoming is an all-year-round program that creates opportunities for young girls to develop their potential in leadership and realization of their sexual and reproductive rights at a tender age. The program goes beyond developing the leadership skills of young girls through community service projects and adaptive leadership, by improving access to sexual and reproductive health information and services. It also supports learners’ academic and learning needs through experiential and digital learning opportunities delivered through a design thinking curriculum and mentorship.
As part of our work, we are implementing a Project dubbed Hello World which we seek to fill some vacant positions. Project Hello World provides educational resources and Internet connectivity to isolated and vulnerable communities. We do this by building solar-powered, outdoor Internet kiosks— so that underprivileged children and adults can educate themselves, communicate with others, and have a voice in the global community. To achieve this, we mobilize communities to build Hello Hubs which are solar-powered outdoor Internet kiosks, and state-of-the-art technology including high-quality solar panels, satellite connectivity, rugged, waterproof touch-screen screens, camera, and audio equipment. Hello Hubs are designed to withstand extreme outdoor weather and are energy-autonomous, which means that they can bring connectivity and education to even the most isolated communities.
Job Summary: The Digital Learning & Mobile Devices Associate Engineer is looking for an innovative individual to join our team and work with us on improving the experience of users while at the hub; this would involve working on user stations that they use and the content that they consume while at the hub.
The role requires someone who is deeply passionate about learning and skilling at all levels from children to adults with experience delivering this process on digital media.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the community and the team to build hello hubs across the country. Support hub repairs.
Mobile Device Management
- Manage and maintain the mobile devices used at the hubs.
- Set up and monitor device fleet availability with a Mobile Device Manager.
- Troubleshoot and fix mobile device faults that might arise.
- Curate and monitor mobile applications used at the hubs.
Digital Learning and content
- Lead digital learning initiatives for community users
- Curate skilling content for the hello world learning portal.
- Populate and streamline a learning curriculum for young learners at the hub
Training and Teaching
- Training community support officers, community and in-house team
- Prepare regular reports for the team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Fast learner who can self-manage.
- Works on schedule.
- Great experience with mobile Operating systems specifically android
- Experience with Mobile Device Management Systems
- Excellence in technical and non-technical communication
- Is friendly, confident, and patient with others.
- Experience with instructional design.
- Has 3+ years of experience with digital learning and mobile devices.
- Experience with electrical systems
- Experience with community work and training
- Passionate about learning and has participated in creating or maintaining user systems on mobile devices for schools or educational institutions.
Imagine Her is a small nonprofit organization working with communities to accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth as active leaders and social entrepreneurs creating sustainable solutions within their communities.
We’re looking for someone who can get their sleeves rolled up and their hands dirty. Someone who is kept up at night trying to find answers to the world’s most intractable problems and willing to make some errors along the way. We need an individual willing to share what they know and learn as they go – not afraid to take a step back and think about a problem. We’re looking for an expert with drive and heart. And we need someone who can do all those things, in some of the hardest places, and still have a lot of fun.
Reports: Lead Engineer
Contract: 1-Year Renewable
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter as A SINGLE FILE to email@example.com
Deadline: 31st January 2023