Job Title: Regional Support Officer
Organisation: Imagine Her
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
About Imagine Her
Imagine Her is a local non-profit working with communities to accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth as active leaders and social entrepreneurs creating sustainable solutions within their communities.
Our purpose is to accessibly provide young vulnerable women and youth with a robust innovation skills and essential resources to create sustainable social ventures and social impact in Uganda and we envision a world where Ugandan women, girls, and youth are actively harnessing their potential, by initiating and advancing innovative and sustainable solutions to pressing needs in their communities.
We work through community partnerships to target women and youth significantly marginalized and vulnerable due to poverty, the growing education-to-employment gap, geography, and the social constructs of gender. We implement a human-centered impact model that equips these community members with the skills they need to respond to the most critical challenges they face. The guiding principle of our model is that those we work with decide what they want to do, and choose the support and resources that they need to do it.
We achieve this through three-pronged approaches that accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth in Uganda as described below;
- Social Enterprise & Innovation Incubator: We invest in young women and youth as builders of transformative solutions to the most pressing problems of today and tomorrow (Climate Change, Food Security, Health & Education Disparities). We do this through the provision of practical tools and training. Our model is designed as a 3-month accelerated MBA-style training program that empowers women and youth to develop an idea, build a model, and test it using design thinking methodology and principles of adaptive leadership. After this, participants receive mentoring and start-up financial support, to support them to build their own business or social venture.
- Career Pathways: We invest in transforming university education and experience in Uganda by equipping university graduates with skills desirable in the job market and enabling them to solve real-life and business problems through the Design Thinking methodology, tailored experiential learning opportunities (company, organizational and community-based) and skills training in adaptive leadership, and design-driven entrepreneurship along with field expert mentorship geared towards preparing them to enter the labor market or start their own ventures.
- Becoming: Becoming is an all-year-round program that creates opportunities for young girls to develop their potential in leadership and realization of their sexual and reproductive rights at a tender age. The program goes beyond developing the leadership skills of young girls through community service projects and adaptive leadership, by improving access to sexual and reproductive health information and services. It also supports learners’ academic and learning needs through experiential and digital learning opportunities delivered through a design thinking curriculum and mentorship.
As part of our work, we are implementing a Project dubbed Hello World which we seek to fill some vacant positions. Project Hello World provides educational resources and Internet connectivity to isolated and vulnerable communities. We do this by building solar-powered, outdoor Internet kiosks— so that underprivileged children and adults can educate themselves, communicate with others, and have a voice in the global community. To achieve this, we mobilize communities to build Hello Hubs which are solar-powered outdoor Internet kiosks, and state-of-the-art technology including high-quality solar panels, satellite connectivity, rugged, waterproof touch-screen screens, camera, and audio equipment. Hello Hubs are designed to withstand extreme outdoor weather and are energy-autonomous, which means that they can bring connectivity and education to even the most isolated communities.
Job Summary: The Regional Support Officer will primarily be responsible for managing the network of Community Support Officers in the West Nile region districts of Arua and Yumbe. This is a great opportunity for someone who is confident they can manage a team, communicate well and problem solve.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage all hubs and Community Support Officers (CSOs) in your region
Communication with CSOs
- Lead meetings with CSOs about the activities, challenges, and successes at their hubs, to feedback to the project management.
- Deliver any information from the project management to CSOs
Communication with the Project Hello World team
- Compile a weekly report on each Hub that you will send to the Country Manager.
- Participate in weekly meetings with other regional support officers led by the Project Hello World Manager.
- You will give feedback on any successes and challenges from the Hubs in your region
- The Country Manager will let you know if there are any additional tasks you need to carry out for the project as they come up.
Ensure all data is collected from each Hub every week
- Community Support Officers need to collect App usage data from the 8 tablets from their Hub on a weekly basis and send it via email to Hello World Training the CSOs on how to collect data
- Keep an up-to-date list of all Hub users with contact numbers to be used for impact measurement
Represent Project Hello World at any regional meetings
- This may include meetings with communities, local authorities or other NGOs
- You will discuss these meetings with the project Country Manager prior to and post-meeting. Hold regular training sessions for community support officers
- Train the Trainers. You will train your CSOs to deliver training at their hubs. These trainings may include
- Vocational training
- Using the tablets (inc. app updates)
- Safeguarding training
- First aid
- Recommendations for trainings for you to deliver to your CSOs and support in the delivery will be provided
- Encourage CSOs to hold training at their hubs and manage reporting on this.
- Collect stories and pictures from CSOs from individual hubs detailing individual experiences of Hub users
- Select the most interesting stories or pictures you have heard from the Hubs in your region that week to upload onto the Hello World drive
- Participate in building the Hubs in the West Nile region
- Participate in fixing all Hub Engineering issues that come up in all the Hubs in the West Nile region with support from the Engineers.
- Guiding and training the Community support officers to identify engineering problems that need to be addressed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a University degree
- High level of English, written and spoken
- Able to communicate in all the languages of the Hubs under your supervision
- Experience in working with the community
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Training and teaching experience.
- Ability to speak and write in any of the West Nile languages: Lugbara, Ma’di, Kakwa, Aringa, Alur, and Kinubi.
- Technology experience, confidence with operating computers and tablets
- Leadership/management experience
Things We’ll Bring To The Table:
- Management experience
- Training- first aid, safeguarding, and CGC
Imagine Her is a small nonprofit organization working with communities to accelerate the power and potential of women, girls, and youth as active leaders and social entrepreneurs creating sustainable solutions within their communities.
We’re looking for someone who can get their sleeves rolled up and their hands dirty. Someone who is kept up at night trying to find answers to the world’s most intractable problems and willing to make some errors along the way. We need an individual willing to share what they know and learn as they go – not afraid to take a step back and think about a problem. We’re looking for an expert with drive and heart. And we need someone who can do all those things, in some of the hardest places, and still have a lot of fun.
Report: Operations & Project Manager
Contract: 1-Year Renewable
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter as A SINGLE FILE to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 31st January 2023