Job Title: Director/Technical Support Services
Organisation: The Electoral Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Secretary/Electoral Commission
The Electoral Commission of Uganda, also Uganda Electoral Commission, is a constitutionally established organ of the Government of Uganda, whose mandate is to “organise and conduct regular, free and fair elections” in the country, in an efficient, professional and impartial manner. It was established under Article 60 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Director/Technical Support Services will coordinate and provide leadership in planning, implementing, coordinating and overseeing information technology and voter data management initiatives in order to support the proper functioning of Electoral Commission operations/activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To advise the Secretary, Electoral Commission/ Accounting Officer on matters pertaining to information technology and voter data management;
- To provide guidance on overall Government Policy direction on information technology and voter data management;
- To provide technical input to the development/ formulation of strategic plans and other policy papers;
- To issue guidelines on the interpretation and implementation of IT policies, laws, standards and other related matters and their relation with the Commission;
- To develop, mentor and motivate subordinate staff and evaluate their performance;
- To oversee the maintenance of appropriate systems for measuring performance within the directorate such as regular appraisal meetings, monthly progress reports and monitor, measure and report on directorate issues, opportunities, achievements and work plans within agreed formats and time frames;
- To promote work and professional ethics by upholding and encouraging the highest standards (professional and work ethics) to promote a good image of the organization;
- Support the other Directorates in form of data, information, software, hardware and voter pattern;
- Coordinate the activities of the Directorate in tandem with other Directorates;
- Supervise the activities of the departments which fall under the Directorate;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Secretary, Electoral Commission.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- An Honors Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or Statistics or Computer Engineering or Information Systems or Mathematics or any other ICT related discipline from a recognized university or institution;
- A Masters Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or e-Government Services or in any ICT related discipline from a recognized university or institution;
- Accreditation from a relevant professional body/ association in IT or systems development and management.
- Ten (10) years relevant work experience in management of Information Technology systems, at least three (3) of which should have been served as Head of Department or managerial level in the public sector or equivalent level of experience from a reputable and large organization;
- Experience at management decision-making level, in particular in managing complex information technology programs and IT solutions;
- Experience in development and management of shared IT services;
- Experience in digital transformation of organizations;
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills and experience.
- Age: Between Forty (40) Years and Fifty Six (56) Years.
- Possession of expertise in IT service management, systems analysis, data management services and systems integration;
- Possession of knowledge and skills in IT and cyber security solutions;
- Demonstrable ability to effectively lead a team in managing ICT projects;
- Development of long-range information technology plans including defining budgetary needs, determining alternative strategies and addressing implementation and integration strategies related to information technology systems;
- Ability to build capacity through coaching, counseling, reinforcement of positive behavior and design of planning systems;
- Thorough understanding of the relationships and linkages between various departments and ability to utilize them for overall effective performance;
- Possession of the required knowledge to provide guidance to the organization and stakeholders about Information Technology policy matters;
- Ability to take initiative and sustained action to ensure the successful implementation of change management;
- Ability to identify how organizational policies, processes and procedures are likely to be affected by environmental changes;
- Expertise in strategic management of government IT policies, laws and regulations;
- Takes initiative and puts in place control measures to combat and eradicate misuse of public resources;
- Ability to take a firm stand on critical issues with honesty and integrity;
- Ability to lead and inspire confidence in a team of mature professionals;
- Ready to achieve challenging objectives in spite of obstacles and resource constraints;
- Ability to resolve conflicts and differences by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions;
- Ability to quickly identify and take into account important government interests into policy decision making;
- Clear understanding of the climate and culture of the organization and how to use the language and approach that is generally acceptable to produce best response.
How to Apply:
Applications with comprehensively typed CVs showing the applicant’s contact address with day time telephone numbers, addresses and day time telephone numbers of three referees, copies of certified academic transcripts and certificates should be sent to the Human Resource Office/Central Registry, or mailed to the address indicated below;
The Secretary, Electoral Commission, P. O. Box 22678, Kampala. Uganda
Envelopes should be clearly marked at the top with the words “Application for the post of ……………”
Deadline: Friday 18th November, 2022.