Job Title: Communications Analyst
Organisation: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: UNDP Resident Representative
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s Global Development Network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in over 170 countries, employing participatory approaches to developing local solutions to national and global development challenges. UNDP’s core vision is to help countries achieve simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We do this through three main areas of work which are: (1) sustainable development (2) inclusive and effective democratic governance, and (3) climate and disaster resilience.
Job Summary: The Communication Analyst leads the design and implementation of UNDP’s communications, advocacy and publication strategies, as they relate to the Country Office programme. She/he ensures that UNDP communicates and reports its strategic focus and activities clearly and consistently to stakeholders to promote understanding of its programme; contribution of the country office to the national development aspirations, the 2030 agenda for sustainable development, and promotion of gender equality, through in part, innovative public awareness, strategic media outreach and mobilization of political and financial support for UNDP. The Communications Analyst is responsible for ensuring that the Country Office benefits from corporate initiatives and feeds into corporate products. She/he will ensure that strategic communication products, tools and services are well known by staff and partners. She/he will ensure that communication and advocacy initiatives raise the profile and understanding of UNDP mandate, work and capabilities to help influence partnerships and delivery. She/he will ensure that UNDP contributes to UN system wide common communication priorities. In undertaking the above, the Communication Analyst supervises the communication support team and maintains a regular working relationship with UNDP’s programme team, Senior Management, the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff, Government officials, development partners, media, local state and non-state actors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc.);
- Drafting/editing of CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy;
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme and operations.
Ensures implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Tasked with the implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan, based on the corporate publications policy and programme priorities;
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues;
- Coordination and management of CO publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
Supervise the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design and maintenance of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff;
- Keenly review programme content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials
- Ensure inputs and links to UN in Uganda media platforms and publications
Implements strategies and policies related to Resource Mobilization and partnerships building focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of proposals and provision of inputs to the development and implementation of a donor intelligence strategy, RM strategy, Client Relationship Management strategy;
- Analysis and assessment of CO opportunities for resource mobilization & partnerships;
- Conduct of a Competitive Landscape Analysis of partners, their priorities and characterization of their relationships/partnerships;
Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns
- Tasked with the promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, results of SDGs, UN Reform, and other emerging priority areas.
- Identification of opportunities in the country based on partner-specific intelligence and where the CO competency strengths overlap with partner/client needs;
- Analysis of key development and sectoral policies currently being discussed and implemented in the country and key donors willing to support these policies;
- Identification of emerging sources of funding; assessment of their current usage and potential for the future;
- Identification of channels and products to ensure understanding of UNDP action by beneficiaries, donors and other partners
- Public information:
- Timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Participation in UN Communications Group to ensure input on UNDP action and to support UNCT public information activities;
- Inputs to UNCT public information, communication and advocacy strategy
- Link to corporate public information champions and initiatives
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications for development.
Devise and follow a social media plan for promoting the activities of CO focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Manage digital engagement with key audiences via CO’s social media channels;
- Develop blogposts and news content for the CO’s website, ensuring consistency of materials and messages;
- Regularly monitor references to CO online social platform including daily Twitter, reports in Government and UN documents and public news outlets;
- Keenly monitor, analyze and share the latest developments in areas of relevance to the CO initiatives, including emerging technologies for social change, mobile data collection and advocacy;
- Contribute to corporate social media plans.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Office of the United Development Programme (UNDP) Communications Analyst job opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in media relations, Journalism, Sciences of Communication, Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field/ combination.
- Two years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Previous experience in the development of communications, public relations and/or resource mobilization strategies as well as with a multilateral or international organization will be a distinct advantage;
- Gender responsiveness and conflict sensitivity in all communications is a requirement;
- Previous experience in the use of computers and in handling of web-based communication management systems including social media.
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information to a variety of audiences on UNDP’s mandate and action;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners;
- Contributes to the management of relationships with partners of the UN in Uganda.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate:
Research and data analysis:
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s role through dissemination of information and materials;
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities.
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
Preparing information for global advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning partnership with advocates within and outside the UN system on UNDP’s work, corporate priorities and mandate;
- Supports production of knowledge products for use at corporate level on UNDP Uganda
- Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
Research and analysis:
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise;
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Informed and transparent decision making;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 14th March 2018