Job Title: Communications and Liaison Assistant
Organisation: Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA)
Funding Source: UNHCR
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Program Manager
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international African humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
About UNHCR Project:
HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-sectoral Program Jobs for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro district), Nakivale settlement (Isingiro district) and Nyakabande Transit Center (Kisoro district).
Job Summary: The Communications and Liaison Assistant is a creative thinker with social media experience and excellent people skills to join our media team. He/She will be leading on communications as well as responding to comments and queries from the public as well as being responsible for the public relations aspect within an organization. The job holder will be responsible for building and sustaining HIJRA’s reputation for quality, reliability and customer satisfaction, write and deliver press releases and handles all communication sent to the public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the implementation of HIJRA communications strategy to promote and publicize the knowledge gathered by the program.
- Draft and produce regular editorial support to the development of articles, blogs, reports, technical briefs, newsletters, and other publications.
- The jobholder will write communications pieces (success stories, articles, blog posts, etc.) and create project presentations.
- Lead in event design, organization, and facilitation.
- Research and identify opportunities for the project to employ new media formats and dissemination channels (podcasts, blogging, webcasts, etc.).
- Ensure information on the website is accurate and up to date, and supports the work of the organization
- Use social media applications creatively, including managing the organization’s Facebook, Twitter and blog activity
- Produce publicity and promotional materials for events and engagement activities and other external publications
- Attend meetings and events when needed
- Work closely with HIJRA headquarter over communications and promotional activities
- Address enquiries, ensuring that an appropriate response is given within the expected timeframe
- Record the details of enquiries, including follow-up provided
- Keep up to date with developments in policy and social issues, locally and nationally
- Adhere to HIJRA Policies and Procedures at all time and carry out all duties with full regard to confidentiality
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings and others, as required
- Perform any other reasonable duties that might be requested from time-to-time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the HIJRA Communications and Liaison Assistant job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, International Development, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience with 1 years’ experience working directly in communications.
- Extensive knowledge of principles, theories and methods of communications, public relations, and journalism.
- Articulate and professional in public speaking situations
- Demonstrated research, writing and editing experience for both print and web.
- Proficiency with website content management and the use of social media required.
- Familiarity with graphic design, printing and publishing processes required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of evolving communications technologies and measurements of communications effectiveness;
- Experience with issue management and public advocacy;
- Initiative to solve problems with energy and a positive attitude;
- Ability to translate and convey sophisticated, sometimes sensitive, information to target audiences;
- Ability to translate complex, strategic content into engaging, easy-to-understand messages that create commitment to the organization and its goals;
- Experience with best communication practices with Social Media and new technologies;
- Previous experience with multi-media (audio, video, publications, computer based vehicles etc) and understanding of SharePoint, InfoPath, digital signage and other internal communications vehicles as plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Windows software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook applications
- Ability to think creative and develop new approaches
- Self-motivated with a flexible approach
- Broad knowledge and understanding of humanitarian and refugees issues
- Willingness to travel to field operations
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an application letter and Curriculum Vitae including telephone and email contacts of three referees including your current/most recent employer.
Application should be addressed to the:
Country Program Manager,
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA),
P.O. Box 37703, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: email@example.com. The subject line should read: “Communications and Liaison Assistant”
Deadline: 24th January 2018