The goal of the Northern Uganda – Health Integration To Enhance Services (NU-HITES) project is to establish improved and sustained health and nutrition status of the Northern Uganda population through a district-based integrated package of quality health services.
NU-HITES works to support and strengthen public and private sector health systems while at the same time improving integration of HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, MNCH, FP and nutrition services at facility and community levels. The project office is located in Gulu with sub-regional offices in Gulu, Lira and Kitgum.
Job Summary: The Technical Advisor Informatics will be responsible for customizing, designing and implementing the iHRIS Suite for project activities and developing a data link at the district level to facilitate data sharing among the GOU and key stakeholders:
The Technical Advisor Informatics will work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor for HMIS, and Senior Systems Developer from IntraHealth’s headquarters to implement all HMIS and HRIS activities and assist with reports, training and development as needed. They will work with the project staff to give logistical support to all HMIS activities by ensuring that tasks are carried through to completion and reports are generated as required.
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offers technical leadership and expertise to the NU-HITES project on Informatics
- Works closely with all TAs and project Officers in ensuring that HMIS and other subsystems are developed and new IT approaches are incorporated into all technical areas;
- Provides input into the development of project-wide strategies and work plans to address HSS issues prioritized by the Government of Uganda and key stakeholders in northern Uganda
- Actively participate in the development of annual and supplementary work plans under Project Objective 2 Health Systems Strengthening
- Mentor and supervise Informatics Developer and Informatics Assistant on day to day basis to ensure coordinated implementation of project IT activities;
- Works with district officials, private nonprofit entities, and communities to develop strategies, plans, and objectives that will strengthen data generation and use for decision making
- Provides guidance from other projects and MoH in developing strategies for improving data generation and use in 15 districts and 2 municipalities of Northern Uganda
- Actively coordinates other partners dealing with collection and use of HMIS and HRIS data in Northern Uganda
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- At least three years related database management experience
- Past exposure and experience in training and data collection.
- Working knowledge of database software and development including Open Source systems (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL).
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Possess the ability to work as an effective team member in a complex and fast paced environment
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse people, clients and consultants.
Innovation – Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments
Accountability – Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence – Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Strategic Thinking – Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Client Relationship Management – Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written) – Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Delegation – Ability to empower, coach, develop and motivate direct reports to effectively perform tasks and responsibilities to accomplish results and meet expectations for which the supervisor maintains ultimate responsibility.
Conflict Management – Understanding of how to anticipate, recognize and deal effectively with existing or potential staff-related conflicts and create the rationale for and the ability to provide tactful, direct, and actionable feedback to direct reports during challenging and sometimes uncomfortable situations.
Technical Expertise – Knowledge and skills in IntraHealth’s areas of expertise, understanding of the trends, directions, major issues and regulatory considerations, and ability to apply this knowledge appropriately in our organizational and industry context
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates should send their applications are invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the following vacant post in the USAID NU-HITES project.
Applications should be addressed to the Human Resource and Administration Officer and should be submitted via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday 10th October 2014.