The United States Peace Corps seeks a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) in Kampala, Uganda.
The PCMC will provide health care to U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers in Uganda and will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Uganda and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC.
• Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
• Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
• Response to emergency medical situations
• Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in (name country)
• Design and presentation of health training sessions
• Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout (name country)
• Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
• Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
• Alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Graduate of accredited school
MDs must be a graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research http://www.faimer.org/resources/imed.html
• Current license to practice
• At least 3 years experience in a professional practice, hospital or clinic setting
• Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
• Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
• Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
• Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team
• Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skills
• Willing to travel to sites in (name country)
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
1. A completed PCMO Application form, a completed PCMO applicant skills survey, a completed Privileging from. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications.
2. A resume or C.V. that includes:
• Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
• Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
• Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
• An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
3. Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.)
4. Photocopies of:
Academic diplomas. Pease note, in addition to a copy of the academic diploma, the applicant must submit an official academic transcript and curriculum.
Professional licenses. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
Certificates of all post graduate training, internships, residencies, fellowships
5. A cover letter
6. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
7. The candidate should also provide the following:
a. Date of birth
b. Place of birth
d. Passport number
e. Passport issue date
f. Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English with official translation.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Attention: Director/Management & Operations
Peace Corps / Uganda
PO Box 29348
Plot 48 Malcolm X, Kololo
OR electronically to [email protected]
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- CLOSING DATE: 02 October 2013, 5:00 pm; Download: Standard Reference Form (PDF), PCM Application (PDF), NP & PA/Plivileging form (PDF), PCMO App (PDF), Application requirements (PDF)